Vacuum vs brush during SLAM

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
Is there an order to the process of algea removal? I have SLAM'ed before, so I know that process. First I vacuumed as much of the algea to waste as I could. Then had to fill the pool. Then I started the SLAM. During the SLAM, I am getting more algea on bottom. Can I get away with just brushing frequently, and keeping my FC at the shock level, or do I need to keep vacuuming everything I can see to waste, then brushing? Vacuuming to waste delays the process, because the water level drops below the skimmer, so I need to refill the pool before I can run pump on skimmer/drain, so there are hours that I am only running pump on drain before level is high enough to switch to skimmer. Plus, brushing takes a lot less time than vacuuming, and i really don't have enough time to vacuum daily or even more than daily. Pool is really bad cuz pump broke, and had to order new one, so there was no pump running for about 10 days.

Stop vacuuming to waste. Your equipment is intended to get your pool clean and keep it that way.

Vacuum in the filter position and then backwash each time your psi goes 25% above the clean psi. Vacuuming to waste is usually uneccessary and always very wasteful and time consuming.

duraleigh, I am so glad to hear you say that. It is such a pain to vacuum to waste. That being said, should I vacuum daily if I see a lot of algea on bottom, and brush as often as I can, or will the SLAM do its job the same by simply brushing?

If I understand your question, you should vacuum as often as required to keep the pool floor clean. The SLAM will actually deposit more dead algae on the floor so use your vac to get it into the filter.

As your SLAM takes effect, there is less and less algae to kill so subsequently less dead algae on your pool floor.

Vacuuming and brushing are an essential part of the SLAM so do them often but we all have lives to lead, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.