Trying to balance water. AGAIN!

May 29, 2016
New Caney, TX
Ok, so we've had a bajillion amounts of rain here north of Houston!
and my pool turned green cause I lost my salt and chlorine. And it was raining so much I gave up!
So now I've gotten it clear, bottom almost totally cleaned.
Trying to keep my FC up. Adding SO much liquid chlorine it's ridiculous.
So
FC 11 had it at 22 it's dropped.
CC 0.5
cya 50
ph 7.8

I've spent so much money on chlorine. People probably think I'm crazy!
Is there another way????
how much more bleach. I can't keep testing the water I'm running out of R871 :(
with a SWG I need FC at 32.....
Imma bout to cry!!!! :(((((

Welcome back! :wave: Well, you've gotten yourself into an algae pickle. Nope, no other way but bleach. HEB's Bravo or Wal-Mart's Great Value for sure. Just stick with it and maintain that FC of 20 as best as you can. After the SLAM is complete, increase your CYA to 70 as it should be for your SWG pool and that should help take better care of your SWG's FC production. Better order some more R-0871 drops now though.... powder too if that's low.

PS - No crying allowed. Only cannonballs. :swim:

Good luck!

One of the subtle forces that cause people to get in your situation is the reluctance to use so much bleach. Bu that's what keeps algae out of your pool and, importantly, keeps you from having to use even MORE bleach than you would have.

That's all water under the bridge. Your choice if you want to keep the pool up and swim some more or just let it stay yucky.

The forum and methods we use wouldn't exist if there was a cheaper way. Sorry, no really good news.

SLAM your pool but don't start until you get enough reagents in your possession.

PS - you are wa-a-y mixed up on several items.....a CYA of 50 only calls for a SLAM value of 20.....where did you get 32?

You target SLAM levels one where your CYA is rather than where you want it to be.

Don't raise your CYA to 70 yet. Do it after you're done SLAMming. Did you have to drain any water because of the rain? If so, have you checked your CYA since? Your CYA may be lower, meaning you can use lower FC levels during the SLAM.

This system works. There's a little bit of a learning curve and a small leap of faith at the beginning, but once you've been using it for a while and seen how clean your pool can be, you will start to understand why you're doing what you're do.

OH, ok, I didn't realize that because the CYA was lower the SLAM would be lower...
It's been a rough time LOL
Yes, I did have to drain water twice. But I took CYA readings this morning & I'm at 50.
I have not added any CYA, I was going to wait till after the SLAM

Yup, add CYA to your 70-80 level after the SLAM. We all know how life gets in the way and it doesn't take much for your pool to get a little green. Especially when it's raining like crazy on ya !! ;)

If you're CYA is 50 then you need to maintain that 20 as best you can. Letting it drop wastes the chlorine that's in there since it's not killing algae. It's only killing it when it's up at 20. You may need to test and add more often to keep the FC up there.
It's a pain but it's the best way we know how to do it.

Did you turn your SWCG and or Pool pump off during this time period? Did you just turn off the SWCG? Did is stop working due to low salt? Do you have test strips for Salt?

Even with the rain this shouldn't have happened unless your SWCG quit generating Chlorine.

I had everything off for like a week or 2 lol
My pool literally overflowed with water everyday for 2 weeks. Which make it too high for my skimmer. I couldn't keep the water low enough.
My SWG is telling me low salt, which I don't doubt it.
I'm going to get some salt today, & I already have plenty of bleach in there.
I should be good in the next couple days! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.