Need some advice on weaning off the pucks

vivCDG

Aug 23, 2016
Fair Lawn, NJ
Brief history: my AG pool was installed about 3 weeks ago, pool guy told me I had everything I needed for what's left of the season. He gave me a tub of pucks and about 5 bags of shock. We started with 2 pucks in the floater. Using a 2-vial tester that came with the kit and some strips for good measure, I couldn't seem to keep my chlorine up. He suggested I shock it. Morning after the shock, chlorine was way up, by the time I got home from work, down to nothing. I went back to the pool store armed with more water to test, then they realized I needed stabilizer after I kept asking them about the CYA/Chlorine relationship (which I got clued in to here!). Dumped stabilizer in about a week ago, got my Taylor 2006 a couple of days ago and have gotten the following consistent readings:

FC: 3.6
CC: 0
PH: between 7.6 and 7.8
TA: 150
CYA: 40
Average Water Temp: 88

I'm happy with where I am considering how late it is in the season. Knowing now that the pucks will eventually raise my CYA, I'm trying to convince hubby to make the switch to the TFP method. I still have some work to do but my Taylor kit and the monies spent will help me with that.

Here's my question on the actual transition. Does it make sense to switch now with maybe 4 weeks left or do I just finish off with the half tub of pucks I have left? Just wanted some advice from those who've gone through this before. Thanks so much.

With only four weeks and a CYA of 40 you've got a little wiggle room. You will have to drain some water to winterize, and if you use TFP methods to winterize, you MAY be able to wait until spring.

Ha! Got it. I've gotten lucky with my chemistry so far and I want to keep control of my levels. My biggest struggle is convincing my husband it's ok to dump jugs of bleach into the pool. I think it's just a mental conditioning we've had not to touch bleach from when we were kids. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

Save your pucks - they don't go bad. You will loose CYA VERY SLOWLY due to splash out, rain, and drain & fill at closing/opening. Use your pucks when you go on vacation. Throw a puck or two in the floater to keep your levels up when you go on vacation once or twice a year - the CYA that one or two pucks will add will be offset by the small losses from the above reasons.

As for bleach and swimming, I add mine in the early AM before I go to work, so nobody is swimming. But i have put bleach in the pool 30 minutes before a party, just to raise teh CL a bit. Just have to filter runnig, and pour it in slowly in front of the return. That is good advice if you are swimming or not - you liner could fade if you add bleach in the same spot, time after time, with no circulation.

-dave

With only four weeks and a CYA of 40 you've got a little wiggle room. You will have to drain some water to winterize, and if you use TFP methods to winterize, you MAY be able to wait until spring.

Thank you! I'd hate to waste perfectly good pucks but not at the expense of my CYA! Do you guys ever use pucks for any reason with the TFP method?

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know! I am liking the TFP method! Thank you all for the great advice. Now to load up on bleach and beer!

You just have to explain to him that "bleach" and "chlorine" and "pool chlorine" as well as the chlorine that comes from the pucks are all exactly the same. Similar to how Advil and Motrin and ibuprofen are all the same, just one is generic and the others are brand names. The active ingredient in all is the same, only the percentage may be different, causing you to use more or less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've done various analogies to bring home the TFP method. I'm hoping it'll come down to proof in the pudding situation, clean and clear pool for less $$.

I'm just glad I'm finally holding my chlorine levels, I will now work on how much movement I can make. I never thought it would take owning a pool for me to like Chemistry! If my Chemistry professor could just see me now. And the Taylor 2006 does make it so easy to take control. For anyone still on the fence about making the investment on a good kit, it's the best thing you can do for your enjoyment of your pool. I am no longer at the mercy of my barely-listening pool guy.

Thanks again everyone!

If you do make the change now, save those pucks. Using TFP methods simply means knowing exactly what you are putting in your pool and only putting in just what is needed. There are situations where pucks have their valid uses. If your CYA is on the low side, they work very well for a vacation period, where you won't be around to add chlorine.

What if you buy the first batch of bleach from the pool section of Walmart where it is labeled "Liquid Chlorine". Then, once he's used to that, you can show him the labels that will show that liquid chlorine is the same as bleach for clothes, just stronger.

What if you buy the first batch of bleach from the pool section of Walmart where it is labeled "Liquid Chlorine". Then, once he's used to that, you can show him the labels that will show that liquid chlorine is the same as bleach for clothes, just stronger.

I was totally going to suggest this. Except save your jugs and you can refill with BLEACH.....:kim:

Update: Been putting in 2 cups of bleach every night for the last 4 nights. I still have the puck floater in the pool, I think it gives hubby a visual peace of mind reference but I've dialed the opening down to less than a single full slat. Readings are as follows:

FC: 5.2
CC: 0
PH: between 7.6 and 7.8
TA: 150
CYA: between 30 and 40
Average Water Temp: 84

Hubby also did a water top-off the other day, we haven't done so since installation almost a month ago. I'm attributing that to my slight decrease in CYA. I'm not too worried about the high chlorine, I wanted to see movement of some kind so I can gauge my bleach better and adjust.

I did indicate a weaning off, didn't want to drastically remove the pucks overnight. We're almost there and the TFP method is definitely working wonderfully for me. Like I said, proof is in the pudding. I've been loving the crazy looks I've gotten when I tell people I've been using liquid bleach in my pool. But nobody is complaining, not even hubby. Not when the water looks this amazing!

Thank you to everyone, for your patience with this noob, and all the helpful advice. So far, so good!

pool_1.jpg

Beautiful liner - and I have your pool steps!

Thanks, Kelly! How did you stabilize your steps? Hubby didn't want to fill it with sand, trying to keep it easy to move. He MacGyvered it by filling PVC pipes with sand and zip tying them to the posts. We found out this weekend that we need more weight so thinking of mixing the sand with rocks.

Are you getting any movement with your steps?

- - - Updated - - -

That's some purty water!! :goodjob:

Thanks! I'm quite proud of my little chemistry project.

It's so clear... the reflection of the basketball net on the water looks like an underwater creature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.