Thank you TFP! - NO MORE GREEN!

cute1

Aug 24, 2016
Austin, TX
Hi! I'm new here. I just found this forum this week and I've only had my AG pool since May.

Long story short: I got pool stored and the CYA went throuh the roof, 2/3 drain and refill, vacation, torrential rains = VERY GREEN POOL.
Note: the pool gets a LOT of sun and it gets very hot here in central Texas.
Then I got the Taylor test kit and found this forum.
I started the SLAMing process of my very green pool yesterday morning hardcore.
On Wednesday I was able to test 4 times, backwash the filter 3 times, added diatomaceous earth to help the filtration, and added cal hypo to maintain the FC at 20 all day. This morning I'm THRILLED beyond words to say that my pool is not green!!! It's cloudy, but no longer green.
So, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Without all your words of wisdom, testimonials, etc I could not have gotten this far.
I'll admit I was scared about putting soooo much chlorine in the pool and I'm still nervous about getting rid of the cloudiness, but what a relief that it's no longer green.
I did NOT think it would happen this quickly. Neither did my husband. I think he's a little bit impressed.

Here are my numbers as of 8am
FC = 17.5 (I'm waiting for this to burn off and it's come down to 13 as of 10am)
CC = .5
pH = 8+ (off the charts! but I'm guessing/hoping this is due to the crazy high FC level?)
TA = 100
CH = 130
CYA = 30-40
I will continue testing it multiple times today.

So, I guess at this point I'm looking for advice on the CC, pH, and cloudiness issue and anything else you might suggest, like maybe raising the CH.

P.S. I actually found a company that would come out to treat the pool (most of them won't bother with an AG it seems), but they wanted $295 to de-green it!
I'm so glad I passed on that and did it myself. I learned soooooo much!

In honor of last week's Olympics ....

Don't worry about your CH since you have a vinyl pool. No worries. :) PH will continue to read high until the FC drops below 10. Once the FC drops to normal, re-test pH and adjust as needed. CC is okay. Just keep an eye on it as time goes on. If it creeps-up to 1 or more in the future, then you can start to get suspicious. Hope that helps.

You think hubby is impressed now, wait until he sees how much money you'll save using the TFP method!

Swim away and enjoy. No poin in doing the OCLT because you fail the "crystal clear water" part. Get that and then do the OCLT.

Remember you finish the SLAM when....
1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)

2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less

3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you, duraleigh. Man, you guys are sooooo helpful.
harleysilo - It sounded like the degreening process would include multiple shocks and lots of vaccuuming.
They didn't mention any specific chemicals or magic potions. ;)

Test results for 7:30pm
FC = 6
CC = less than .5
pH = 7.2
TA = 80
CH = 110

I'm thinking I'll raise the FC to 10 before bed and see how much it loses overnight.

Just make sure you get that FC back up to SLaM level and keep it there until the cloudy goes away. This is the hardest part for new folks to keep in mind. Until it's clear as gin, you need to keep SLaM FC.

Here is a pic I like to use for example purposes. Cloudy pool

with CYA at 40 you need to MAINTAIN 16 FC as your SLAM level. CYA is rounded up to next higher number.

When you swim you can let it drop under a bit and when your done bring it back up to 16. You SLAM will take forever if you let the FC continually drop and don't bring it back up to SLAM level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.