Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thank you TFP! - NO MORE GREEN!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thank you TFP! - NO MORE GREEN!

Hi! I'm new here. I just found this forum this week and I've only had my AG pool since May.

Long story short: I got pool stored and the CYA went throuh the roof, 2/3 drain and refill, vacation, torrential rains = VERY GREEN POOL.
    Note: the pool gets a LOT of sun and it gets very hot here in central Texas.
    Then I got the Taylor test kit and found this forum.
    I started the SLAMing process of my very green pool yesterday morning hardcore.
    On Wednesday I was able to test 4 times, backwash the filter 3 times, added diatomaceous earth to help the filtration, and added cal hypo to maintain the FC at 20 all day. This morning I'm THRILLED beyond words to say that my pool is not green!!! It's cloudy, but no longer green.
    So, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Without all your words of wisdom, testimonials, etc I could not have gotten this far.
    I'll admit I was scared about putting soooo much chlorine in the pool and I'm still nervous about getting rid of the cloudiness, but what a relief that it's no longer green.
    I did NOT think it would happen this quickly. Neither did my husband. I think he's a little bit impressed.

Here are my numbers as of 8am
    FC = 17.5 (I'm waiting for this to burn off and it's come down to 13 as of 10am)
    CC = .5
    pH = 8+ (off the charts! but I'm guessing/hoping this is due to the crazy high FC level?)
    TA = 100
    CH = 130
    CYA = 30-40
    I will continue testing it multiple times today.

So, I guess at this point I'm looking for advice on the CC, pH, and cloudiness issue and anything else you might suggest, like maybe raising the CH.

P.S. I actually found a company that would come out to treat the pool (most of them won't bother with an AG it seems), but they wanted $295 to de-green it!
    I'm so glad I passed on that and did it myself. I learned soooooo much!
    Newbie.Starter Pool: 24Ft AG 12,500Ga. Est. May 2016.HaywardProSeries Sand Filter.Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump.Austin, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thank you TFP! - NO MORE GREEN!

In honor of last week's Olympics ....

Don't worry about your CH since you have a vinyl pool. No worries. PH will continue to read high until the FC drops below 10. Once the FC drops to normal, re-test pH and adjust as needed. CC is okay. Just keep an eye on it as time goes on. If it creeps-up to 1 or more in the future, then you can start to get suspicious. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on being in charge of your pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you Texas Splash and pooldv!
    Newbie.Starter Pool: 24Ft AG 12,500Ga. Est. May 2016.HaywardProSeries Sand Filter.Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump.Austin, Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

why are you letting the FC drift down if the pool is cloudy? Clear water is one of the three criteria you must pass before stopping the slam. Make sure to re-read the SLAM article.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP cute1

too !!
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

You think hubby is impressed now, wait until he sees how much money you'll save using the TFP method!
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

Because I'm impatient and want to swim . . .
    rereading Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Thanks BuckeyeChris
    I plan to do the OCLT tonight
    Current test 2:00pm
    FC: 9.5
    CC = less than .5
    pH = 7.4

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the before pics
    20160822_173732.jpg20160822_173711.jpg
    And today
    20160825_074905.jpg20160825_074919.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Swim away and enjoy. No poin in doing the OCLT because you fail the "crystal clear water" part. Get that and then do the OCLT.

Remember you finish the SLAM when....
    1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)

2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less

3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Did the company tell you what they would do to de-green your pool?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you, duraleigh. Man, you guys are sooooo helpful.
    harleysilo - It sounded like the degreening process would include multiple shocks and lots of vaccuuming.
    They didn't mention any specific chemicals or magic potions.

Test results for 7:30pm
    FC = 6
    CC = less than .5
    pH = 7.2
    TA = 80
    CH = 110

I'm thinking I'll raise the FC to 10 before bed and see how much it loses overnight.

12. Back To Top    #12

Test results
    11pm Thursday
    FC = 12
    CC = .5

6am Friday
    FC = 11
    CC = less than .5
    Still cloudy/milky looking, but better than yesterday.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Just make sure you get that FC back up to SLaM level and keep it there until the cloudy goes away. This is the hardest part for new folks to keep in mind. Until it's clear as gin, you need to keep SLaM FC.

Here is a pic I like to use for example purposes. Cloudy pool
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

thanks for that link pabeader.
    Love the pics! pics are always good. I have that bug vacuum too.

15. Back To Top    #15

with CYA at 40 you need to MAINTAIN 16 FC as your SLAM level. CYA is rounded up to next higher number.

When you swim you can let it drop under a bit and when your done bring it back up to 16. You SLAM will take forever if you let the FC continually drop and don't bring it back up to SLAM level.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

16. Back To Top    #16

It's up! and it's a super sunny day so I'll be busy testing and adjusting all day I'm sure.