Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping Dog out of Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping Dog out of Pool

I just moved to a house with an inground pool/spa. Picture is below if it helps. We have a lab. I dont mind her getting in during the summertime, and I have been working with her a bit to train her to not get in unless we invite her. With that said, we are not there yet. My concern is when it freezes over in the wintertime...don't want her on the ice as that might be an issue if it cracks. I would like her to be able to stay outside...we are tired of taking her out on a leash when she needs to pee. What options do I have? I would prefer not to put a fence around the pool, as I dont like the look of that. I have looked at a mesh fence type of deal that can be removed and thought of putting that from our back door across to the wood fence....but I definitely don't want to drill a hole in the cool deck so that makes it tough. I know, Im asking a lot....

Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping Dog out of Pool

Having lost a dear sweet old Pekingese that fell in and got trapped under the solar cover, I will NEVER let my dogs or my children around the pool unattended. I have a picket fence that seperates our play yard from the pool and garden. It is about belt buckle height, neither my Border Collie nor my St Bernard can get over or under it.

The only way you could train your lab to not go into the pool is to teach the dog that bad things happen near the pool, which would then prevent him from wanting to go into it with you.
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevj View Post
    I just moved to a house with an inground pool/spa. Picture is below if it helps. We have a lab. I dont mind her getting in during the summertime, and I have been working with her a bit to train her to not get in unless we invite her. With that said, we are not there yet. My concern is when it freezes over in the wintertime...don't want her on the ice as that might be an issue if it cracks. I would like her to be able to stay outside...we are tired of taking her out on a leash when she needs to pee. What options do I have? I would prefer not to put a fence around the pool, as I dont like the look of that. I have looked at a mesh fence type of deal that can be removed and thought of putting that from our back door across to the wood fence....but I definitely don't want to drill a hole in the cool deck so that makes it tough. I know, Im asking a lot....
    We have two swimming dogs. We use welded wire fencing to block off pool access in the winter fastened (with zip ties) to temporary fence posts that we can pound into the lawn with a mallet. we run the fencing over our concrete deck and move planters there as an added barrier and zip-tie the end to the gutters (not for support, just to seal the gap).

HDX 5 ft. x 50 ft. 14-Gauge Galvanized Steel Welded Wire-308303HD - The Home Depot

Not the prettiest of solutions but gets the job done.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

It's genetic. He'll want to get in any time

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

No matter what training you do unless you're standing there the dog will always be tempted to wander and it will always be a danger.
    And I only say unless you're standing there because if your dog is anything like mine, even when you are standing they you'll still need to yell a correction once in a while

You could do invisible fence with an electronic collar. Professional install or DIY. - - > Google
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Could something like temporary construction fencing help?

orange-barrier-snow-fence.jpg
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Safety cover is the answer. The pool is done when it is closed and nothing gets in. You're going to want to cover it anyway to keep leaves out.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

+1 on a safety cover. The previous owner had a couple large dogs that would walk right across the cover in the winter and it barely deflected.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Could something like temporary construction fencing help?

orange-barrier-snow-fence.jpg
    That certainly wouldn't do anything for the German Shepards I grew up with. They would jump right over it!

Btw, nice nighttime picture of Spaceship Earth as your avatar!

JB

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

10. Back To Top    #10

I cant do a cover, because of immovable boulders, and not drilling holes in decking.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ITR View Post
    That certainly wouldn't do anything for the German Shepards I grew up with. They would jump right over it!

Btw, nice nighttime picture of Spaceship Earth as your avatar!

JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol yea, I meant as more of a training mechanism - god knows dogs will run right through invisible fences too

and thank you, I'm a pool addict and a Disney addict

A safety cover would be expensive for that style of pool, but what is your dog's life worth?
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

How about making a temporary fence using deck blocks as the base? You could put something under the concrete deck block so it doesn't mar the finish on the pool decking.
    deck block fence - Google Search
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

The warmer the weather, the more my Labrador swims on her own. This time of year, she plops in and sits on the sun shelf nearly every single day. In February, she won't get in unless one of the kids throws a tennis ball into the middle of the pool. Maybe you'll get lucky and find that your Lab won't want to get into the cold* weather like mine.

*I realize that Labrador Retrievers were originally bred to retrieve ducks from the icy waters off Nova Scotia, so "cold" is a relative term....especially when comparing northern Canada to Houston. Maybe my baby is too coddled...
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

How did the previous owner close for winter? Tarp? Guess I'm kinda surprised it was built that way without a custom winter cover since it was obviously a beautiful build, as its a liability for anyone in the yard under a heavy snow -- but maybe I'm just ignorant of your clime in your location. Do you get much snow?

The grommets for a safety cover aren't really that noticeable and just screw down into the recessed sleeve in the summer. In Michigan, they're just kinda a fact of life with an inground pool and worth the peace of mind for humans too You might wish to reconsider.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

15. Back To Top    #15

I don't have the solution, but I share the swimming lab experience! Our black lab swims every day basically. She knows how to roll her ball off the deck chair so that it ends up in the pool. Then she has to go retrieve it of course!
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

16. Back To Top    #16

I have a greyhound rescue group, and we have unfortunately experienced a couple of dogs drowning while out by the pool unsupervised. I would fence the pool.

It's Swimming Season - Is Your Pool Safe for Summer? | DCS Pool Barriers
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

17. Back To Top    #17

Electrify it. The dog will only get in it once.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Tough post. It is National Dog Day. My doggies are sad.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kellyfair View Post
    I have a greyhound rescue group, and we have unfortunately experienced a couple of dogs drowning while out by the pool unsupervised. I would fence the pool.

It's Swimming Season - Is Your Pool Safe for Summer? | DCS Pool Barriers
    That is incredibly sad. A friend of mine has rescued a couple of greyhounds over the years. I know they can be special dogs, not liking to walk on grass and things like that. I can imagine falling in a pool must scare the heck out of the poor animals.

Labs I would think would have no problem getting in and out of the pool, if there are steps available. But if you wanted to do a pool fence, I just installed a fence from diypoolfence.com and I'm happy with it for keeping out toddler out of the pool. If your concern is mostly during the winter with it freezing over, I'd get just cover it with a normal winter cover. It'll keep the dogs from getting in, and keep leaves out.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed