Pool Pump making a "Whooshing" sound (with video)

Either the pump is cavitating or air is leaking in before the pump. If this is new, it's probably cavitation due to restricted water flow to the pump. Does it change if you move the diverter valve handle the other direction?

Re: Pool Pump making a "Whooshing" sound (with video)

Hi Amail, thank you for the quick reply.
What is the "Diverter" handle? Is that the thing that controls the "pressure/speed" of the pool vacuum?

Either the pump is cavitating or air is leaking in before the pump. If this is new, it's probably cavitation due to restricted water flow to the pump. Does it change if you move the diverter valve handle the other direction?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi wjr75, by "pump lid", do you mean that "clear/see-through" thing in the video where we can see water flushing around?

The pump lid may also be leaking. I would try to remove the lid make sure the gasket is clean and try to restart it.

Yes, the clear lid. You should also clean out the basket that is in there when you do this. I clean mine every week or so depending what has been dumping in the pool from the tree's. Also make sure you have the water level in your pool half way up the skimmer and that you are not sucking any air at the skimmer.

Also look into your skimmer. If your pool's water level is slightly too low, air could be sucked in there in a pulsing manner. If so the water level in your skimmer will be cycling up and down as the air changes pump performance.

Also look into your skimmer. If your pool's water level is slightly too low, air could be sucked in there in a pulsing manner. If so the water level in your skimmer will be cycling up and down as the air changes pump performance.
To add to this, my floating weir (not a door) will sometimes get stuck and starve the pump of water.

To add to this, my floating weir (not a door) will sometimes get stuck and starve the pump of water.
That's bad juju - you don't want your pump running without water. It will wreck your impeller bearing.

Yes, the diverter valve is the black handled thing just before the pump. The direction the handle points indicates the closed off pipe (generally). You can put the handle on the valve in any of four positions, so the previous may not be the case with your valve. In any event, you should be able to turn the handle back and forth thru 180°. See if the pump pulls in water better with the handle turned all the way the other direction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whatever the source, understand that air is being sucked into the system in front of the pump's impeller. Could be the skimmer (water too low) or it could be debris jammed around the impeller or it could be somewhere in between. Stop that air leak and your pump will function normally.

It's weird, I took the R2D2 vacuum cleaner out of the pool (while the pump was running), and put it back in after a couple of minutes and when the pump kicked back on, it seemed to have fixed the issue and everything seems to be working fine now. <?>

I'll empty that pump lid basket this weekend.

Thank you all so much, this site is soooooo helpful and has saved my butt a handful of times. :D

You guys ROCK, thanks again!!!

Your vacuum cleaner may have a leak in one of the hose segments. Especially check any portion of the hose that would normally float on the water surface. Before I got my robot I had a Kreepy Krauly that gave me the same symptoms as yours. Drove me nuts trying to find the part of the hose which was sucking in air. That was part of what made me decide to dump Kreepy and get a robot. Best decision I ever made about the pool (except mabe going to a VS pump).

Thanks again guys. Yeah, my R2D2 vacuum hasn't been working really this past week or so. His feet move when I pull him up towards the surface but he hardly moves at all when he's on the ground (plus, the leaf canister - which usually floats has been submerged lately). I'll check the hose segments and see if one of them has a hole in it.

This site is amazing site with great posters such as you all. What a fantastic resource!
Thank you all again!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.