Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump making a "Whooshing" sound (with video)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump making a "Whooshing" sound (with video)

Hello,

I woke up this morning and noticed a "Whooshing" sound coming from my pool pump area (see video below):

Pool Pump making a sound. - YouTube

From the above video, does anyone know what's' causing this noise and how to fix it? The pump is newish (got a brand
    new one in 2012).

If anyone has any advice or can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you very much.
    In-ground 18000 gallons salt water pool, sand filter, 4-5 feet deep, kidney shaped small pebble tech pool with water feature.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump making a "Whooshing" sound (with video)

Either the pump is cavitating or air is leaking in before the pump. If this is new, it's probably cavitation due to restricted water flow to the pump. Does it change if you move the diverter valve handle the other direction?
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump lid may also be leaking. I would try to remove the lid make sure the gasket is clean and try to restart it.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Amail, thank you for the quick reply.
    What is the "Diverter" handle? Is that the thing that controls the "pressure/speed" of the pool vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by Amail View Post
    Either the pump is cavitating or air is leaking in before the pump. If this is new, it's probably cavitation due to restricted water flow to the pump. Does it change if you move the diverter valve handle the other direction?
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi wjr75, by "pump lid", do you mean that "clear/see-through" thing in the video where we can see water flushing around?

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    The pump lid may also be leaking. I would try to remove the lid make sure the gasket is clean and try to restart it.
    In-ground 18000 gallons salt water pool, sand filter, 4-5 feet deep, kidney shaped small pebble tech pool with water feature.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the clear lid. You should also clean out the basket that is in there when you do this. I clean mine every week or so depending what has been dumping in the pool from the tree's. Also make sure you have the water level in your pool half way up the skimmer and that you are not sucking any air at the skimmer.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

Also look into your skimmer. If your pool's water level is slightly too low, air could be sucked in there in a pulsing manner. If so the water level in your skimmer will be cycling up and down as the air changes pump performance.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

7. Back To Top    #7

I edited my post and added what you just said

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Chasmengr View Post
    Also look into your skimmer. If your pool's water level is slightly too low, air could be sucked in there in a pulsing manner. If so the water level in your skimmer will be cycling up and down as the air changes pump performance.
    To add to this, my floating weir (not a door) will sometimes get stuck and starve the pump of water.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    To add to this, my floating weir (not a door) will sometimes get stuck and starve the pump of water.
    That's bad juju - you don't want your pump running without water. It will wreck your impeller bearing.

Yes, the diverter valve is the black handled thing just before the pump. The direction the handle points indicates the closed off pipe (generally). You can put the handle on the valve in any of four positions, so the previous may not be the case with your valve. In any event, you should be able to turn the handle back and forth thru 180. See if the pump pulls in water better with the handle turned all the way the other direction.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all for the possible answers. I'll check it when I get home from work and see if any of these great suggestions work.
    Will let you know.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Whatever the source, understand that air is being sucked into the system in front of the pump's impeller. Could be the skimmer (water too low) or it could be debris jammed around the impeller or it could be somewhere in between. Stop that air leak and your pump will function normally.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

It's weird, I took the R2D2 vacuum cleaner out of the pool (while the pump was running), and put it back in after a couple of minutes and when the pump kicked back on, it seemed to have fixed the issue and everything seems to be working fine now. <?>

I'll empty that pump lid basket this weekend.

Thank you all so much, this site is soooooo helpful and has saved my butt a handful of times.

You guys ROCK, thanks again!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Your vacuum cleaner may have a leak in one of the hose segments. Especially check any portion of the hose that would normally float on the water surface. Before I got my robot I had a Kreepy Krauly that gave me the same symptoms as yours. Drove me nuts trying to find the part of the hose which was sucking in air. That was part of what made me decide to dump Kreepy and get a robot. Best decision I ever made about the pool (except mabe going to a VS pump).
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

14. Back To Top    #14

maybe your weir door got stuck? I had that happen once with an improperly fitted replacement weir.
    It snagged on a chunk of grout sticking out.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks again guys. Yeah, my R2D2 vacuum hasn't been working really this past week or so. His feet move when I pull him up towards the surface but he hardly moves at all when he's on the ground (plus, the leaf canister - which usually floats has been submerged lately). I'll check the hose segments and see if one of them has a hole in it.

This site is amazing site with great posters such as you all. What a fantastic resource!
    Thank you all again!!!