Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner Potentail Black Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner Potentail Black Algae

I am a new pool owner in Chicagoland and after having kept my pool up to snuff the majority of the summer, these recent storms have me reeling. I think I am dealing with some sort of black algae but after brushing, shocking and using algacide, and brushing lots more, it is still there.

I had a pool guy come out to get a quote on repainting/plastering my pool as there is some paint peeling a way and the floor is getting bumpy and he thinks that the black spots are actually areas in which the cement can be seen through the worn down paint.

Is this even possible? Again new pool owner here!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner Potentail Black Algae

Have you tried the fingernail test described here? Pool School - Black Algae

3. Back To Top    #3

I have tiny black dots on my vinyl liner. There seems to be more, not getting bigger though. I tried the fingernail test and got nothing! It wouldn't come off! They are a raised dot. My CYA is high( just found out about TFPC, stopped using pucks) and I have kept chlorine high. Adjusted pH. The water is clear. (Had some tan, sandy looking stuff, thought oh no, yellow algae. Turned out sand bag holding steps down has a leak!) Are these dots image.jpgblack algae? I will try to post picture. You may have to enlarge.
    15x30 Patriot AG, installed 1999, vinyl liner, Haywood power flow Matrix 1 HP, Haywood DE perflex filter, 4- 2x10, Fafco solar panels roof mounted, solar blanket, Taylor 2005C, FAS/DPD

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Have you tried the fingernail test described here? Pool School - Black Algae
    I just tried the fingernail test (thank you for pointing me that way) and nothing came off at all. I guess the pool guy was correct and it is just the cement starting to show through.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good news/bad news, huh??? Always eager to help a fellow Illinoisian!