Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Post SLAM questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Post SLAM questions

I had a pump failure while out of town for the weekend and came home to a swamp. I began the SLAM process after repairs were made to pumps. My swamp is now a light blue/gray but not clear yet. My question is about the FC level after it is clear again. How do I get it back to the range suggested in pool school? Should I just monitor it and turn my SWG back on when it approaches the normal level?

P.S. I had all my levels set to the SLAM chart before I began the process.
    15' AG Vinyl, Intex SWG, Intex Sand filter pump, Taylor testing kit(TFP recommended one)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Post SLAM questions

I would think you would allow your FC to drift down to the suggested level for your CYA, then follow the procedure for dialing it in.

Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Should I just monitor it and turn my SWG back on when it approaches the normal level?
    That's it. The FC will come down very nicely once you stop replenishing it. It will not take long (3 days or so....you can swim if you want) and your SWG will be ready to kick in and maintain it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So I can see the bottom of the pool again, almost crystal clear. My CYA has crept down to 50 from 70 when I started the slam. Should I try to get CYA back to 70 while slamming? I have been keeping up the FC levels each day and back flushing filter when needed. I have been dealing with rainstorms every other day as well. My ph is now at 8.
    15' AG Vinyl, Intex SWG, Intex Sand filter pump, Taylor testing kit(TFP recommended one)

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

No, if your SLAM is not over don't increase CYA. I assume you have been vacuuming to waste a good bit?

pH test isn't valid with FC over 10.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The PH test is inaccurate when your FC is 10 or higher. Make sure you are using liquid chlorine (aka bleach) to increase your FC because powdered and solid forms will increase CYA or CH.

Don't backwash until your pressure is 25% above the clean pressure as sand filters work best when a little dirty.

Brush daily, run the pump 24/7, test and adjust FC several times a day to keep it at SLAM levels (see the chart in my signature).
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

7. Back To Top    #7

Been using bleach and brushing daily. Only been backwashing when needed(I did add some DE to the sand filter). I have not vacuumed to waste, only thru filter. Pump has been running 24/7.
    Water is clear enough to see the bottom just not crystal clear yet. I just want to make sure I properly finish the SLAM.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Sound like you are on track! You might be aware of this, but here is a link to the OCLT which is one of the 3 criteria to let you know when you have finished SLAMing: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

9. Back To Top    #9

Unfortunately I work evenings. Can I still perform the test at around midnight and then around 7-8 hours later before the sun hits the water directly?

- - - Updated - - -

What I mean is how much time is needed for the test to be accurate? I can test before sunrise if needed.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I think that would be sufficient. As long as you get it tested before the sun hits it.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

SLAM complete!image.jpg
    Sorry no before pics but it was emerald green and had about 2 inches of visibility.
    Thank you everyone for your help!