Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I just did a TA test on my TF-100 kit and when I put in the R-008 it turned red instead of green. Thinking I messed up somehow I did it again and same thing. Does this mean my TA is actually 0?

Good plan to test the tap water.

If that checks out and the TA is really near 0, then you need to raise the TA up to about 50ppm with baking soda, and then test the pH and raise it into the 7s.

Good call on the tap water, didn't even consider the control test. Looks like tap is at 140. My pool PH is right at 7.6-7.8 like it always is though so of that's supposed to be way off I don't know. It has never dropped below 7.6, and my tap is testing at 7.6-7.8 so I'm not sure its a test issue there... I guess I need to find 10lbs of baking soda to fix the TA issue then. Thanks for the sanity check :)

How are you filling the pool?

It is not possible to have a TA of 0 with a pH in the 7s. Furthermore, it's impossible to get to a TA of 0 without adding something to the pool. Alkalinity doesn't just disappear especially considering high evaporation rates and fill water with high TA.

How high is your chlorine level?

Are you using trichlor tablets?

Have you ever added anything to raise the pH?

It's a 10k in ground with an autofiller plumbed to the house line (no softeners or any pre treatment). Mainly use 10% liquid chlorine and a tab or two if CYA drops or going on vacation. For ph, just a cup or two of muriatic acid every few days to keep it from creeping too high. Test is as follows with the TF-100

FC: 2.0
CC: 1.0 (I know I need to fix these)
CYA: 40
TA: 0 (?)
PH: 7.6
CH: 220 (fill water is 200)

Is it possible the splashing from the in-floor cleaning and spa spillover is lowering my TA even though the PH is relatively stable? My TA was 90 when I last checked it on 7/29 and was pretty stable at that since we filled the pool in January, but I haven't been doing anything different since then so I'm not sure why the sharp drop

Not to ask dumb questions but are you rinsing out the test vials between tests? Are you adding the correct reagents in the correct order for the test (2 drops of R-0007, 5 drops of R-0008 indicator then titrate with R-0009)?

Not to ask dumb questions but are you rinsing out the test vials between tests? Are you adding the correct reagents in the correct order for the test (2 drops of R-0007, 5 drops of R-0008 indicator then titrate with R-0009)?

No problem, the simple answer usually gets overlooked but yes I am rinsing the vials between tests and running it in the right order as well - except last time I stopped at R-0008 when it went to red instead of green with my pool water. Rinsing the vial and running the test with just tap goes as expected: R-0007, then R-0008 (turns green), add R-0009 until turns red

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually put in 64oz of baking soda before I saw your post, it's now reading 120. Doesn't make sense coming from 0, but if it was actually around the 90 I measured last month the addition is spot on (according to poolcalculator anyway). Not sure what the problem was with the testing before though, kind of wish I had saw your post ahead of time for further debugging. If this happens again at some point i'll try that. Also, maybe i'll get time this weekend to run to a pool store and get a test to see how the two compare

I actually put in 64oz of baking soda before I saw your post, it's now reading 120. Doesn't make sense coming from 0, but if it was actually around the 90 I measured last month the addition is spot on (according to poolcalculator anyway). Not sure what the problem was with the testing before though, kind of wish I had saw your post ahead of time for further debugging. If this happens again at some point i'll try that. Also, maybe i'll get time this weekend to run to a pool store and get a test to see how the two compare

I feel your pain. A few weeks ago, I was getting some really wonky TA readings. The problem was resolved once I realized I was using 10mL of water and following the directions for 25mL sample. I hate being a bonehead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.