Pentair 2-Speed Pump Motor w/Toggle Switch and Hayward Aqua Plus Wiring

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
The new Pentair WhisperFlo 2-speed pump motor has arrived this afternoon, and to my surprise, the new 2-speed motor comes with a speed toggle switch already installed. I am planning to use the Hayward Aqua Plus automation to control the new 2-speed pump.

I have a feeling that I need to remove the toggle switch before wiring to the Hayward Aqua Plus. Before doing anything to the new motor, I spent couple hours in researching the subject of wiring 2-speed pump w/toggle switch to an automation system on TFP forum, but I could not found any answers.

Please help me with the following issues:
  1. Do I need to remove the speed toggle switch before wiring to the Hayward Aqua Plus?
  2. If the toggle switch does not need to be removed, at what speed position (Low or High) should I place the toggle switch?

Thanks for the help in advance.

1. Yes, or at least disconnect the wires.

You will need to run 4 wires from the automaton system to the motor. One hot directly from a breaker to the common terminal in the motor. The other side of the breaker goes to 2 of your relays. One relay then goes to the high speed terminal and the other relay goes to the low speed terminal in the motor. The 4th wire is the ground. Plus you have the bonding wire to attach.

Then in the settings you have to program which relays are for the high and low speed. This is all explained in the manuals which you can get on Hayward website.

I finally have the time to install the new Pentair 2-speed motor this afternoon; however, the new motor only ran in High Speed. When I switched to Low Speed through the Hayward Aqua Plus, the motor made no sound and not running at all.

Below is picture of how I did the wiring connections from new motor into the Hayward Aqua Plus:

1. Removed the toggle switched that came with the new 2-speed motor
  2. Attached a white color wire from “A” to “E”, and a black color wire from “A” to “Bot” circuit breaker
  3. Attached a yellow color wire from “B” to “F”, and a black color wire from “B” to pump terminal 1 (common)
  4. Attached a white color wire from “C” to “G”, and a black color wire from “C” to “Top” circuit breaker
  5. Attached a black color wire from “D” to pump terminal 2 (high-speed)
  6. Attached a white color wire from “H” to pump terminal 3 / 4 (low-speed)
  7. Attached a green wire from grounding to pump green terminal
  8. Programmed the Hayward Aqua Plus per instructions for 2-speed pump

Pentair 2-speed Wiring into Hayward Aqua.jpg

Please help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

In configuration, did you change AUX2 to "pump low speed"?
You have to change filter to 2 speed pump and you have to change aux 2 to pump low speed.

Also, note that in certain cases, the syetem will delay or prevent low speed. The pump starts in high and you cannot go immediately to low speed. There is a three minute delay from pump start.

If the system is configured for solar or heater, the system won't allow low speed when it turns on solar or heater unless you change the settings to allow low speed while heating.

Mr. JamesW, thank you very much for your help.

I configured the Filter to 2-Speed; however, I forgot to configure the AUX 2 to Filter Low Speed and the SOLAR to Low Speed Allow. The new motor can now be operated in 2-speed via the Hayward Aqua Plus controller.

Everything in your post is correct. The pump will start at high speed for 3 minutes then switches to low speed. The Aqua Plus also allows me to do high speed manual on/off for pool vacuuming.

Good Afternoon Mr. Mas985,

Relocating the solar VRV is the next task of this project. I will follow your advice from the previous post for the new solar VRV location.

I am planning to cap the current 2" FAFCO solar VRV on the second story roof with duct tape and to install a new solar VRV on the cold supply line at about 6-7 ft high from the ground.

I have purchased the Watts 1/2" LFN36 Lead Free* Water Service Vacuum Relief Valves as the new solar VRV replacement.

Thanks for your advice.

I am planning to cap the current 2" FAFCO solar VRV on the second story roof with duct tape
That is guaranteed to leak. You should be able to find a fitting or cap to replace the VRV.

A 2 story roof would probably do better on high speed. The vrv can be left where it is. It will only allow air into the return line, which isn't ideal, but it's not that bad.

You can lower it some to reduce air from being introduced into the return line. However, if it's too low, it's not going to do much good. You could end up with too much vacuum in the panels.

What pump do you have now?

What is the filter pressure on low and high with solar on?

A 2 story roof would probably do better on high speed. The vrv can be left where it is. It will only allow air into the return line, which isn't ideal, but it's not that bad.
Losing prime for solar is not a bad thing? High or low speed, it is an extra 25' of head loss. For low speed, that is a big issue. Most pumps can't do that. Losing prime should be avoided at all costs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.