swamp battle!!

Thank you for the hints and help. It's been a busy few days with the pool! I was finally able to catch the pool store open on Saturday morning. Prior to that, I just kept keeping the course and started to see some slight improvement daily, which was finally motivating. I took a pool water sample in and a hose water sample. I had lots of good news and kudos to the mom and pop pool store! By Saturday morning I was pretty beat down with the whole situation and if he would have recommended some magic potion, I might have been weak enough to cave.....but he DID NOT!!! Here is what I learned with the results of his testing:

Chlorine is high - well, that was what I expected...however, it was actually lower than I thought it was based upon my testing. So, now I don't know which test to trust....so I split the difference and brought my chlorine level up a few points higher.

PH is high - no surprise there either. He suggested I go ahead and lower it because it could help the chlorine be more effective. I figured I had nothing to lose but 20 oz of MA, so I'm in on it.

CYA also tested higher than the results I had been getting. It was showing at 45. Not bad but that would justify additional chlorine as well...again, I'm in on that.

Iron/Minerals - all negative. Even the algae presence tested negative.

He said - and I quote...."I could sell you an algaecide (sp) but I think your doing everything right and I don't see it helping you. Just be patient, stay the course, it will turn around...." WOW!!!!!! Lifetime customer for anything I need from a pool store going forward!

I went home, one more vacuum/filter clean, make adjustments - tested and retested and brushed the rest of the day. Wake up Sunday morning and I see BLUE. woohoo! Before I get too excited, I brush the tanning ledge and there is still "poofing". Brush, brush, brush and water is green by the time I am finished. Ok, I can handle that, I know I haven't turned the corner but maybe I'm at the intersection.....Test, chlorinate - but again, not losing too much chlorine. Tested last night around 10pm - tested this morning around 7am - half my chlorine is GONE. BUT.....the pool is more blue - maybe some gray - and NO GREEN. I can clearly see the bottom. Bring chlorine back up, brush, brush, brush....some poofing but not as much. I can still see the bottom by the time I finish and it's still not green. Maybe now I'm halfway thru the turn at the corner but I know I'm not done yet...but oh...oh....so close!!!!

I am seeing some foamy/bubbly yellowish stuff in the skimmers. I'm guessing this is from the algae? It is getting less as the pool is getting clearer.

Again, can't thank everyone enough for the advise and encouragement and the help. I'm hoping that by tomorrow my pool will be looking closer to perfect and I'll post a beautiful pic!

You need to trust your own testing.

When I first started TFP, I decided that in the long run, it would be more cost effective to use up more test reagents in the beginning to ensure I was doing it right, then constantly adding chemicals I don't need based on suspect testing.

I would collect a large sample (6oz) or so, and do multiple (same) tests in a row to see if I could repeat within reason. When I checked FC, I checked it 2-4 times until I knew my tests results were repeatable. Same went for all the other tests. What's great about the CYA test is you can just keep using the same mixed sample 3 or 4 times in a row to check your repeatability.

I think it only took 2 or 3 times of that to realize I was doing it correctly.

eden I have an idea for you...........put some paper towels in your skimmer basket when you can babysit it. Make sure the water can still get through. What I am thinking is that might help the filter out! You can also use knees highs or skimmer socks (sold in the pool section of Lowes and such). You seem to be turning the corner for sure! This extra filtering might help you turn it even more.

The brushing you are doing really seems to be working! Keep it up!

:kim:

Poolblu.8.29.16.jpgQuick update - yesterday was cloudy and rain - didn't loose any chlorine during the day, stayed right on target at shock level. Tested just before bed, one more time. Still good. This morning, I was down 3 points. sigh. But that's ok. The pool is nice and blue. I don't want to blow all that work in the last mile!! I added more chlorine this morning, kept the pump running. Maybe tonight will be the night. My plan for this evening is to get into the pool - with an old swim suit that I don't mind fading - scrub all the nooks and crannies that I can't reach with the brush from ground level - clean the filter - make sure I'm solid at shock level before bed, pay homage to the pool gods and hope I pass the overnight test. First pic is last evening, second pic is this morning......

PoolBlu.8.30.16.jpg

Thanks, kimkats! Chlorine held overnight!! It was weird to not brush, chlorinate this morning....I think I'm having SLAM withdrawal!! So, now I let the chlorine drift down to "normal" and then adjust PH, TA, etc., right?

So very grateful to everyone and although this was an exhausting experience I have learned so much thru this process and now know that I can maintain AND fix an issue if it happens again (please, no!!!). Empowerment is such a great feeling! Time for the adult beverages!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.