Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often do you top off your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

How often do you top off your pool?

Our pool was filled 7/22. Since then I have put 2-3 inches of water in every week. We are in full sun but have not swum much, so not a lot of splash out. The weather has been fairly mild (mid-low 80's daytime, 60's night time) which is unusual for August.
    I'm afraid I have a slow leak somewhere...
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often do you top off your pool?

The best way to determine is to do a bucket test. Pool School - Leak Detection
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Is there a lot of wind? During the hottest part of the summer I left the solar cover off for a few day and it was pretty windy. I lost about an inch and a half in less than a week, having not lost that much in a month, prior. I've been keeping the cover on most of the time, we are on low level water restrictions due to drought conditions.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    The best way to determine is to do a bucket test. Pool School - Leak Detection
    How do you plug the inlets and outlets? I'm clueless...

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Is there a lot of wind? During the hottest part of the summer I left the solar cover off for a few day and it was pretty windy. I lost about an inch and a half in less than a week, having not lost that much in a month, prior. I've been keeping the cover on most of the time, we are on low level water restrictions due to drought conditions.
    A little...I wouldn't say a lot. But the filter runs 7a-7p and keeps the water moving fairly quickly.

I mentioned the weekly filling to my PB a couple weeks ago and he blew it off as evaporation.
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

5. Back To Top    #5

1/8"-1/4" per day is typical for evaporation. Maybe a little more on very windy or hot, sunny days. Put a rock in a bucket and put it on a step in the pool. Fill it to the same level as the water in the pool. If they go down the same amount it is evaporation. If the pool goes down more than the bucket it is a leak. If your bucket goes down more than the pool then

Oh, I haven't ever topped off my pool. Autofill is your friend!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

you'll lose a lot more than you expect to evap. i was probably losing 1-2" a week in dallas.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

7. Back To Top    #7

During the last hot spell here in OH I was losing about 1 inch in 10 days but my pool is not in full sun.
    30' AGP 18,500 GAL, Hayward C4025 4 cartridge filter, BBB Method

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    1/8"-1/4" per day is typical for evaporation. Maybe a little more on very windy or hot, sunny days. Put a rock in a bucket and put it on a step in the pool. Fill it to the same level as the water in the pool. If they go down the same amount it is evaporation. If the pool goes down more than the bucket it is a leak. If your bucket goes down more than the pool then

Oh, I haven't ever topped off my pool. Autofill is your friend!
    That makes me feel better! Your suggestion of the bucket sounds a lot less involved than trying to figure out how to plug all the inlets and outlets.

We don't have an autofill because we don't have an irrigation system. PB put some sort of piping in that is sticking out of the ground behind the pool but I don't really know what he's doing with it...

Quote Originally Posted by isriam View Post
    you'll lose a lot more than you expect to evap. i was probably losing 1-2" a week in dallas.
    Quote Originally Posted by OHcabanaboy View Post
    During the last hot spell here in OH I was losing about 1 inch in 10 days but my pool is not in full sun.
    Thank you both! This eases my mind somewhat.
    Denise-TFP Guide

9. Back To Top    #9

you should ask him if he plans to do an auto fill, or run a fill line to your outside faucet. in az my pools all had auto fill, but in tx my pool had a pipe by the faucet and I put a Y on my faucet and filled that way with a 3 foot leader hose. it stayed connected year round, i just turned on the Y when i needed water in the pool. it feeds into the pool skimmer with a 1/2" pvc pipe just below the lid.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I have an auto overflow. I turn on the hose and it automatically overflows unless I remember to turn it off.

I know I could get a simple mechanical hose timer to eliminate the issue - but where's the fun/excitement in that.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ive been having the same issue. Losing a lot of water. I lose about an inch every 2 days. Maybe more. I'm full sun and it gets really windy here. I'm thinking I have a leak.
    IG
    Vinyl
    Brand New

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

NN - You deserve some stress free time with your pool. Hopefully the bucket test confirms its just evaporation.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Thank you all

I haven't done the bucket test yet. Working a ton and now I'm sick. I'll do it this week.

I need to update my build thread with the latest developments. As soon as I feel better...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by isriam View Post
    you should ask him if he plans to do an auto fill, or run a fill line to your outside faucet. in az my pools all had auto fill, but in tx my pool had a pipe by the faucet and I put a Y on my faucet and filled that way with a 3 foot leader hose. it stayed connected year round, i just turned on the Y when i needed water in the pool. it feeds into the pool skimmer with a 1/2" pvc pipe just below the lid.
    No way to do that now that the deck is poured. Maybe that is what he originally was going to do but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I have an auto overflow. I turn on the hose and it automatically overflows unless I remember to turn it off.

I know I could get a simple mechanical hose timer to eliminate the issue - but where's the fun/excitement in that.
    I have that same one!
    Denise-TFP Guide

14. Back To Top    #14

LOL!! Hose timers from Lowes are your friend!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach