New to pools, feeling overwhelmed

Aug 24, 2016
Winston Salem, NC
Hello everyone!

Even after all of the research I've done, I still feel terribly overwhelmed with the pool at the house I moved into. The previous owner seemed to keep it in good shape, although all of the equipment is very old, so one of my priorities is getting a new variable speed pump. It's a smaller vinyl pool, I would guess around 15k gallons? It has straight sides on the long part, and rounded at both ends.

In other news, it seems like the previous owner shocked the pool with some bottles of clorox 4in1 shock bottles (6 of them are in the poolhouse trashcan) before I left, as when I tested it using strips (k-2006 was being shipped from Amazon, just arrived today), the Chlorine level was at 10ppm. It's been two weeks now, I haven't done anything except clean the skimmer basket, and did a backwash last night. From what I can tell, I definitely need to vacuum the pool, as there is sand and leaves in the bottom, I'm just not totally sure how to do that. The latest strip showed the chlorine has come down a good bit, it's now at 4 ppm, but the ph has also come down. I'm hoping to get the taylor kit out there tomorrow to get a more accurate reading on everything.

My main question is, what should I always have on hand chemical wise? Chlorine is getting fed automatically with tablets, and the dial is at 3, so I think I should keep that there, but how do I deal with everything else? The previous owner left a container of Chlorine Stabilizer, pH up, and chlorine tablets for the auto chlorinator. What else should I get, if anything?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to talking to everyone, and I hope this experience gets better, as right now, it's making me anxious as heck, and I've not been anxious over many things in my life!

Chris,

Welcome to TFP.. you will love it here.. :lovetfp:

Until you go out there and take readings with your new K-2006, no one here can really help you. If would be like trying to fix a broken arm without an x-ray. So take a breath, and relax. Go out tomorrow and run a full set of tests and report back with your findings. Based on that info, the people here will be able to put you on the right path.. :calm:

The only thing you will initially need would be 3 bottles of bleach.. regular bleach, (not scented or splash-less) and a gallon jug of Muriatic Acid (MA). Those two items will, for the most part, be all you will ever need on an ongoing basis. Do not go to the pool store, do not buy any other chemicals until you post your results.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chris,

Until you go out there and take readings with your new K-2006, no one here can really help you. If would be like trying to fix a broken arm without an x-ray. So take a breath, and relax. Go out tomorrow and run a full set of tests and report back with your findings. Based on that info, the people here will be able to put you on the right path.. :calm:

The only thing you will initially need would be 3 bottles of bleach.. regular bleach, (not scented or splash-less) and a gallon jug of Muriatic Acid (MA). Those two items will, for the most part, be all you will ever need on an ongoing basis. Do not go to the pool store, do not buy any other chemicals until you post your results.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Awesome, thank you! I will get the test results this afternoon and take some pictures to let everyone know what's going on.

So I would need normal bleach even with the chlorine being auto fed with tablets?

Thanks again! Already liking the community here :D

Awesome, thank you! I will get the test results this afternoon and take some pictures to let everyone know what's going on.

So I would need normal bleach even with the chlorine being auto fed with tablets?

Thanks again! Already liking the community here :D

Chris,

Well, I made the comment about bleach because that is what most people on this site use (Except those with SWGs). You can continue use tablets, if you want, it is your pool. But, I think once you find out how tablets continually raise the CYA level in your pool water, and how very high CYA is a bad thing, you'll jump on the Bleach/Chlorine bandwagon.

Our goal at TFP is to allow you to test your water and then come away with facts that you can use to determine what is the best method for you to maintain your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chris,

Well, I made the comment about bleach because that is what most people on this site use (Except those with SWGs). You can continue use tablets, if you want, it is your pool. But, I think once you find out how tablets continually raise the CYA level in your pool water, and how very high CYA is a bad thing, you'll jump on the Bleach/Chlorine bandwagon.

Our goal at TFP is to allow you to test your water and then come away with facts that you can use to determine what is the best method for you to maintain your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Totally understand! I had no idea that the tablets raised the CYA levels, so it makes a lot of sense to get bleach.

Should I just stop using the tablets all together? The chlorinator is in-line, so I can't remove it easily unfortunately, but I suppose if I just stop giving it tablets the water will just pass through there without a problem.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, so just did my first test with the taylor kit, and here are the results:

FC: 5.2
CC: None
pH: 7.4
TA: 80
CH: 220
CYA: Over 100

Looks like you guys were right about those chlorine tablets! My CYA level is sky high, so what should I do with that?

Also, when I hook up the vacuum, do I need to take out the skimmer basket, then put the hose in? It has a flat end that looks like it would cover the skimmer basket. And with the vacuum, is it ok to suck up anything on the pool floor? Or do I need to get the leaves out first, and then vacuum the pool?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing back!

Chris

Chris,

Just for reference.. with a CYA of 100 you need an absolute minimum FC level of 7 and you really should be around 12 as a target. See this... Chlorine CYA Chart

That said, if you measured 100, it is probably much higher. The only real option is to drain 50 % of your water and retest. Keep doing that until you can get the CYA down to about 40.

I have a robot, so I know little about vacuuming a pool. Let's see what others have to say..

Chris,

Just for reference.. with a CYA of 100 you need an absolute minimum FC level of 7 and you really should be around 12 as a target. See this... Chlorine CYA Chart

That said, if you measured 100, it is probably much higher. The only real option is to drain 50 % of your water and retest. Keep doing that until you can get the CYA down to about 40.

I have a robot, so I know little about vacuuming a pool. Let's see what others have to say..
OK. So how would I drain the pool for when it goes below the skimmer line? Isn't that bad for the pump since it won't get water? And is that OK to do in a vinyl pool? As I read that the weight of the water is what keeps everything tight

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When draining a vinyl liner pool we recommend leaving a foot of water in the shallow end to prevent liner shifting or shrinking. If you have a bottom drain and the ability to close the skimmers then you can use the pump to pump out the water. Or you can start a siphon with your vacation hose. Or use a submersible pump.