First post. This place rocks

Aug 24, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
So I discovered TFP a few weeks back as I struggled with mustard algae that would not go away. With your help I boosted chlorine levels and now have a handle on it. I have also banned trichlor tabs and gone to bleach as my CYA is 150+. Here is where I am today. I am hoping you can advise on the next steps. I know a draining of water is in my future but will wait until off season. I have elevated readings on just about everything. Here are some figures derived from the Taylor K2006:

TC 10
FC 10
CC 0
so far so good....but there's more...
PH 8 (need about 1/2 gallon acid per demand test from what I gather)
TA 175-200 (in order to get 120, this would call for several times the amount of acid required to lower PH to 7.4)
CYA 160 (using 50/50 pool/distilled I got a reading of about 80 twice)
CH not tested (strips indicate this is also off the charts)

I want to thank you for all the great advice I have already received here as a lurker. I just had to register and become an official part of TFP.

OK. I have one last important question...........why do some refer to BBB method when speaking of TFP? Prior name? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks again!!:D

BBB was the precursor to TFP.

With a CYA of 160, your FC is too low. If you don't have a salt water system, you need to boost FC to 19, minimum 12. Anything below 12, at any time, will allow a potential breakout of algae, and not allow for sanitized water.

The pH test isn't reliable above FC 10, but at a reading of 8, I'd pull it down a bit.

Please put your pool details in your signature asap. This will let us help you much better. :)

Welcome!

If you can, I would replace 70% of your water to get the CYA down to 50. It's much more manageable that way! Plus, you can then let your FC come down to the single digits safely so you can get a good pH reading.

Getting the TA down is a function of lowering the pH but doesn't need to be addressed immediately. It may make your pH rise again but then lowering the pH again will drop it more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.