Reference or calculator for sizing of suction pipe

del

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 3, 2013
San Diego, Ca
I am trying to figure of what intake hose sizing I may need to a pump that pumps at much higher flow rates than normal pool pumps. The pump is to be used to basically empty the pump, such as a gasoline powered water pump. I may need to run a long length of suction hose to accomplish what I am trying to do. So, is there a simple online calculator to do this? I assume this is the sort of calculation that is done all the time in calculating total dynamic head. I do not want to create cavitation and I do not want to unnecessarily use a larger diameter suction hose than what is necessary. Thanks.

Del

There are head loss tables such as the one in the Hydraulics 101 sticky or this one: PVC Pipes - Friction Loss and Flow Velocities Schedule 40

But none that I know of will suggest a pipe size. If you can give some more details, I might be able to help.

Does the pump have specs which dictate how much suction head it can support?

Make/Model of pump?

Distance you are trying to pump?

Approximately flow rates (GPM)?

Vertical lift (ft)?

What type of pipe are you planing to use (e.g. schedule 40 PVC)?

For example, lets assume that I want to pump 666 gallons per minute. Let's further assume that I use a gasoline powered pump that can pump this much, as I do not have anything specific in mind yet. Let's also assume that it will need to be pumped up a 5 foot elevation and the length of the suction pipe is 100 feet long. If you need to plug and chug some diameters, then 4 inch ID would be a starting point. You can also run it at 6 inch ID if 4 inches fails. Thanks, and I will look up the references you provided.

Without detailed knowledge of the pump it is just guesswork but you would need 6" pipe to have than 8 ft/sec water velocity. You might be able to get away with 4" but again, it depends on the pump.

The discharge side of the pump can also make a difference. Throttle the discharge and the pump is less likely to cavitate. However, you might not get 666 GPM then.

This is really a system calculation. You cannot determine one piece without all the other pieces.

I have more homework to do. The outlet would probably be 4 inch pipe, 100 feet of length with either no elevation difference, or perhaps up to negative 5 feet of elevation. Thanks for much, mas 985.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.