Pool controls

danix

Jun 28, 2016
alamo ca
Sorry if this is not the right place - feel free to move my post if it is not.

My pool is now working again (see separate thread). It's clean, and I have the pool company that has been maintaining it for 20 years, at least for now.
Here's my question.
My control panel (Compool C3800) apparently does not fully talk to the pool filter motor (pentair clean and clear plus 520 CCP-520). Pool guy said that it's a $450 upgrade to put in a board that allows the two to talk.
So, I have to have a schedule set on the pool motor, and if I want to use the spa outside of that time, I have to go out and manually engage the filter motor before the pool heater will fire. Even then, the heater (Sta-Rite sr400NA) needs to be set to max temp, and only then can I control the temp on the compool panel.
This strikes me as at best inefficient and at worst stupid :)
He did say that instead of that upgrade, he'd recommend that I put the money toward an iphone capable system (something like $1800).

Now, I have no intention of spending any of this money, that's why you guys are here. :)
Is it true that my panel cannot talk/control directly to my motor?
What upgrades/changes are possible and recommended?

Edit - did a quick search and found this.
Intellicomm II - $181 on amazon. Appears to be the control board mentioned.
Compool to Easytouch Control - $500 to $800 depending on if it needs transformers?

IMG_1607.jpg IMG_1602.jpg IMG_1601.jpg

I'll have a shot at this....I'm not familiar with your current compool panel and it's limitations, but I do have a similar pump and heater, with an Easytouch system so have some familiarity with their function. Sounds like the intellicom would work for simply controlling the pump, but if you want to control the heater temperature as well you might have to go with the compool to easytouch upgrade kit. Even with just that, you would still have to control temperature from the panel unless you add on the (additional $) indoor or wireless easytouch remote.

I found an Intellicomm II on ebay for $100 shipped (used) so ordered it.
I dont need iphone capability though it would be nice.

I'm sort of shocked that pool controls are this rudimentar and that no one has slapped together a box with some relays and an arduino running custom code.
I guess there is a lot of different equipment out on the market to control (and the interfaces are likely proprietary and undocumented).

You should see the full automation systems like jandy iqaualink or pentair intellitouch with screen logic. easily 1500+ with power, box, relays, and actuators. honestly, if you had the money i'd buy a full system and do it yourself. that will easily save 1-2k. you could probably do it all for 1200.

I'm going to bump my own thread as I have not yet installed it. I asked my pool guy about installing it and he says:
"the intellicom2 board is not that stable ( even though its made for the
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Pentair system)and we use the Innoverter IV5 board for that set up . I [/FONT]would question buying a used one it must have gave someone else a problem. we would charge 150 to install it. but not knowing its origin could not warranty it at all."

If I post some pics of the relay box, can you guys guide me in the right direction? I attempted this before but didn't see any changes when I hooked it up, so I figured I'd wait (plus it was winter).

Goals of installing this are to bypass the (IMO) janky controls I have now.
During the day if I want to run the filter I have to:
- go outside to put the panel into service mode
- switch the intelliflo from auto mode to manual mode
- start the pump

Likewise, to run my hot tub, I have to:
- put panel in spa mode
- go outside to the intellflo
- switch from auto mode to manual mode
- hit start/stop to start it
then reverse when done

My goal is to be able to do all the above from the inside panel (or back panel, without having to touch the intellflo).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.