Filter lid must be EXTREMELY tight to avoid air leak

Aug 24, 2016
huntingdon vy
We have an Anthony Pools pump/filter. It is cast iron, at least 10 years old, probably MUCH older. It is the model that takes the O-19 ring. It has two "T" shaped screws which hold the lid on.

I need to put the screws in VERY tight. If not, I can hear that air is getting in, actually pretty much everything sounds different if it is not tight. By tight I mean I need to one hand as a ratchet and then use the other arm to pull in my elbow to get enough torque. It is beyond my physical strength to break the screw, but this level of effort definitely causes me physical harm.

We have tried a new O-ring and also an O-ring with a toilet gasket. Neither improved the situation.

Is there an easier way to get a good seal? And is there an aftermarket see-through lid that I could swap in? That would improve our ability to diagnose air leaks.

Probably closer to 30+ years old...or more.

I've seen a few of these older metal pumps and those that had them, when
a problem came up, just better to replace it.

You should replace the entire pump if you can with something new.
You may be bandaiding this pump until you do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.