Vinyl liner replacement question

Aug 24, 2016
Oswego, NY
I've been getting some estimates on replacing the vinyl liner in my inground pool. It's a 16x32' rectangle. One company gave me an estimate for close to $4500.

But another company said "the corners of your pool have 90 degree angles. We don't install liners on pools with 90 degree angles."

Anyone have any idea why? I assumed a rectangular pool would be easier to install a liner in. This isn't a small company either. They're pretty big in my area with a good reputation. That just left me a little confused.

My pool is 18x36. 6 inch radius corners. Pool companies in my area, which has a lower cost of living than NY, was $3,600.
I talked to a few pool warehouse supply folks and decided to do it my self. Cost of new liner, gaskets and faceplates - $1,150. Pocketed the $2,500. Pool companies said they could do the job in one to one and half days with two people. I figured I'd just pay myself. Done extensive reading and watching videos on how to install them. Got a few friends to help and provided food and beverages and a pool party the next week. I'm not saying this is something you should do its something I felt OK with and it all depends on your comfort level and skil. That being said. I do not have any experience with squared corners and do not know the issue. But if a pool company is refusing to do them I'd say that is an issue in doing them.

Square corners are VERY hard to fit perfectly. Runded corners are much more forgiving in the you have no precise point that is a 90 degree corner.

They make a cove material that will round your corners and is put in after your old liner is removed. Rounded corners sure makes cleaning the pool a lot easier, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.