Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl liner replacement question

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl liner replacement question

I've been getting some estimates on replacing the vinyl liner in my inground pool. It's a 16x32' rectangle. One company gave me an estimate for close to $4500.

But another company said "the corners of your pool have 90 degree angles. We don't install liners on pools with 90 degree angles."

Anyone have any idea why? I assumed a rectangular pool would be easier to install a liner in. This isn't a small company either. They're pretty big in my area with a good reputation. That just left me a little confused.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl liner replacement question

Liner may tend to come off at the 90 degree corners. Same reason I have to remodel my entire pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool is 18x36. 6 inch radius corners. Pool companies in my area, which has a lower cost of living than NY, was $3,600.
    I talked to a few pool warehouse supply folks and decided to do it my self. Cost of new liner, gaskets and faceplates - $1,150. Pocketed the $2,500. Pool companies said they could do the job in one to one and half days with two people. I figured I'd just pay myself. Done extensive reading and watching videos on how to install them. Got a few friends to help and provided food and beverages and a pool party the next week. I'm not saying this is something you should do its something I felt OK with and it all depends on your comfort level and skil. That being said. I do not have any experience with squared corners and do not know the issue. But if a pool company is refusing to do them I'd say that is an issue in doing them.
    18x36 8ft deep end (~27k gallons), IG, Vinyl Lined, Polaris 360 Cleaner
    Sand filter, 2HP Pump, Municipal Water Source TF-100 Test kit
    East TN
    CYA Chart SLaM Add DE to Sand OCLT

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Square corners are VERY hard to fit perfectly. Runded corners are much more forgiving in the you have no precise point that is a 90 degree corner.

They make a cove material that will round your corners and is put in after your old liner is removed. Rounded corners sure makes cleaning the pool a lot easier, too.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmmm ,just reading this and we are getting ready to get an 18x36 lined pool but i wanted the corners square ,thought it looked nicer . Is it possible to have the cement squared and keep the pool corners rounded ?