Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH question

1. Back To Top    #1

pH question

For about 10 days, my pH stayed almost the same at 7.5. I usually have to add a little muratic acid to keep it out of the high 7's.

Wanted to determine if any of the following conditions stabilizes the pH:

1. We had about 7-8 days of straight rain, w a lot of clouds [vs the usual full day of sunl]. Also, the aeration of rain almost always increases pH
    2. Increased the Cyanuric Acid levels by 8PPM via 4 pucks over a 5-6 day period. I was low on Cyanuric acid bc of using TFP method and decided to get a bleach break by using pucks instead of the crystals in the sock/skimmer
    3. The cloudy weather also lowered the temperature by at least 8-10 degrees from hot to actually a pleasant coolness for the Aug time of year.
    4. Other?

I keep my FC in the 4-5 range

I am going to run a full set of tests tonight and will post these too.

Thanks,
    tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH question

Trichlor is acidic. Mixed with the aeration and you found the sweet spot !
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - Makes sense - Acid is acid...just wasn't sure how much the Cyanuric acid would impact the lowering or keep the pH steady.
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What is your TA? Keeping TA down around 60 seems to stabilize pH somewhat. Borates do an even better job, apparently.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    What is your TA? Keeping TA down around 60 seems to stabilize pH somewhat. Borates do an even better job, apparently.
    Thanks Dave...arrived hm real late last night...will do some testing this morning and post back - tstex

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Rain also helps because it is typically low in pH and has little to no alkalinity and no calcium.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page