Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Three baby turtles in my skimmer-- what do I do and how how does it affect pool chem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Three baby turtles in my skimmer-- what do I do and how how does it affect pool chem?

To my horror, I opened up the skimmer seconds ago and found three baby turtles in there, all alive. They were all approximately 3 inchse in length. I am not sure how they got in the pool because I have never seen turtles around here before (I live in CT).

How does this affect how I treat the pool? Should I boost up the chlorine (it is currently at the recommended level)? Thanks.
    32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Three baby turtles in my skimmer-- what do I do and how how does it affect pool c

Probably fine as is (unless they were dead and rotting in there)

Do you have a local pond or watershed / creek you could release them to?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Three baby turtles in my skimmer-- what do I do and how how does it affect pool c

Unless you plan on making your pool their home , there's nothing really to worry about. Carry on w/ normal maintenance.
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have gotten countless frogs in my pool. I don't worry about the chemicals unless they're dead.

I found a baby turtle walking down our street (private road in rural area) and I brought him to a local river and released him. Hoping he was ok.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Deb04 View Post
    I have gotten countless frogs in my pool. I don't worry about the chemicals unless they're dead.

I found a baby turtle walking down our street (private road in rural area) and I brought him to a local river and released him. Hoping he was ok.
    There is a big difference between amphibians and reptiles...one needs to live in and around water, the other doesn't. Guess which one a turtle is?
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Three baby turtles in my skimmer-- what do I do and how how does it affect pool chem?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb04 View Post

We need more good people in this world like you who are willing to stop what they are doing, and take the time to help all lost and disoriented creatures! Good luck!!

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

7. Back To Top    #7

True turtles are reptiles but turtles live at or near the water because they need it like amphibians. Frogs are amphibians who live near or in water, turtles are reptiles that live in or near water. Toads are amphibians that live on dry land but near a water source of sorts. Tortoises are very similar to turtles but don't live in or near water and need very little water to survive, though they can swim.
    Size: 25K (approx) Gallons- Standard Chlorine (not salt)
    Type: Vinyl Freeform - Inground
    Filter: Hayward PRO-SERIES HIGH-RATE SAND FILTER- M/N S220T
    Pump: Super Pump 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed) M/N SP2610X15
    LOC: Jackson Twp, Ocean County, New Jersey