Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Basket Won't Fill Up (New Pool)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Basket Won't Fill Up (New Pool)

My water level got a little low and my Pentair VS Pump told me that it needed primed. I've filled the pool to a good level but the pump basket still isn't filling. I released the air from the filter. There is no valve at the main drain pipes. I have the skimmerclosed and the return open. Am I doing somethong wrong?

20160824_124139_resized.jpg
    20160824_124144_resized.jpg
    20160824_124154_resized.jpg
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Basket Won't Fill Up (New Pool)

with the hose in the basket I assume you are priming the pump with fill water first, then closing the lid and starting the pump?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Attempting that, but the pump never fills up.....it just keeping draining and staying 1/2-3/4 full.
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sheree202 View Post
    Attempting that, but the pump never fills up.....it just keeping draining and staying 1/2-3/4 full.
    The most water you'll get in the pump is up to the bottom of the fill pipe. Then it starts filling the pool. Get it close to the white pipe seal it and turn on the pump.
    IG Vinyl 18x36 28500 Gallon SWG Taylor K2006 Test Kit
    380 Gallon Master Spa Chlorine for sanitizer

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, that worked beautifully. I closed the filter air valve once it started shooting water. As soon as I opened the skimmer valve the pump got air bubbles in it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by sheree202 View Post
    Okay, that worked beautifully. I closed the filter air valve once it started shooting water. As soon as I opened the skimmer valve the pump got air bubbles in it.
    The air was probably in the skimmer line since you had the valve closed. Let it run for a bit and make sure it draws nothing but water. That's provided the fact that the pool water level is above the skimmer.
    IG Vinyl 18x36 28500 Gallon SWG Taylor K2006 Test Kit
    380 Gallon Master Spa Chlorine for sanitizer