Where do you buy washing soda AKA soda ash?

0f83440493c0835d7da740876d66a5cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Pool School this site: Raising PH

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels.

Good post, kschmidt1. Borax has always been the best. Washing soda has a residual (can't remember what it is) that while it is small, simply isn't needed in your pool. Borax leaves no residual.

wait, isn't that backwards? Shouldn't it be:

Borax raises ph without raising TA (the reason why it's often recommended over Soda Ash)

Soda ash raises ph and also raises TA a bit.

Matt (JoyfulNoise) pointed this out to me awhile back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cool I'm going to check the nearest Walmart.

I am trying to raise pH and TA currently.

It's generally in a random spot in the laundry isle. Took me a while to find it's as well. I use/d it because I was trying to raise both as well.

Plus don't you have to test for borates when using borax? Just asking for my benefit and who ever else wants to know.

Good to know on the residue with ash.

It's generally in a random spot in the laundry isle. Took me a while to find it's as well. I use/d it because I was trying to raise both as well.

Plus don't you have to test for borates when using borax? Just asking for my benefit and who ever else wants to know.

Good to know on the residue with ash.

Borax will raise borates - but you need a LOT of borax. more than you will be adding just to adjust your pH. Borates are not a bad thing. I have been trying to add them to my pool - sometimes I add borax and coutner with acid. Other times my pH drops and I just raise it with borax. I am only around 40 ppm on Boarates after 2 seasons of adding borax.

In my grocery store the washing soda is right next to the boarx - but both are over by the clothes dye - not by detergents or bleach.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.