Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small Leak at Drain Valve Plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Small Leak at Drain Valve Plug

SO, first little problem in awhile (other than the dust which is all cleared up now).

When I installed the pool in the spring one of the "Drain Valve Covers" had a crack in the side and so it would not secure completely. I thought at the time this was going to be a problem until I got the pool spread out and saw that there is the INTERNAL drain plugs that are sealed. I was able to get the cover to stay on the threads at least but any pressure at all would be an issue - but since the inside was sealed - no leak - so I just let it be.

Well, this morning - woke up and see water on the ground - YIKES!! Checked into it and the (very slow) leak is in fact coming from the drain valve cover. I quick fixed it with some duct tape and have a new cover on order from Intex - but my question is - WHY is it leaking all of a sudden? Do I need to get inside and check the internal plug? I suppose the robot and/or brushing could have knocked that inside thing a bit loose - is that my likely cause?

OR was I just lucky that the valve cover must have been just tight enough to keep it sealed until now, and the new cover will fix it?

Thanks as always.
    Intex 18'x9'x52 - 2800 GPH Sand Filter/Pump - TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Small Leak at Drain Valve Plug

Get a 3/4" hose thread cap for the outside or a #4 rubber expansion plug you will be fine & out a whopping $2.00 👍

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Small Leak at Drain Valve Plug

Thanks - Intex sells the replacement for 2.00 also - although I did have to pay shipping. I am just curious as to why it was leaking. I mean isn't the idea is that you can take that cap all the way off and hook up a hose to drain without it leaking until you pull the internal plug?
    Intex 18'x9'x52 - 2800 GPH Sand Filter/Pump - TF100 Test Kit