T-CELL-15 High Amps

May 19, 2016
Richmond Hill, GA
My new chlorinator keeps shutting off and saying High Salt/Amps. I spoke to Hayward and they said the sensor can be +/- 500ppm.
I've tested with Aquachek strips and get 3620 consistently. I can reset the chlorinator and it will be fine for awhile then I recheck and it's off again. Readings are high 7's both pos and neg with around 25 volts. Sometimes it shows 3700ppm then amps go above 8 and it shuts off. Hayward says the SWG is ok and to lower salt level. TFP recommends 3600. Do you think the cell is defective?

I've tested with Aquachek strips and get 3620 consistently.
3400 ppm is the recommended maximum so your salt level is too high. Also, test strips are not very accurate so it could be much higher. The units will switch off once the current reaches 8 amps or greater. So I would recommend lowering the salt level. I keep mine around 2900 ppm at the lower end of the range to avoid high amps in the controller.

BTW, where did you see TFP recommending 3600?

What's your water temperature?

Hayward units have a problem of overamping at higher water temperatures. Above 90 f, you have to keep the salinity down below 3,200. They should note this in their literature (In my opinion).

If the water is very warm, 3,400 ppm can cause the unit to exceed 8 amps and shut down. This is especially true when the cell is after a big gas heater or solar.

At 3,200 ppm and 82 degrees, the amps are usually in the low 7s. At 3,400 ppm and 95 degrees, the amps can easily hit 8 and cause a "High Amps" error and unit shutdown.

Even if the water is in the 80s, a big gas heater can cause enough temperature rise to cause the system to overamp. A 400,00 btu/hr heater can easily push water temperatures into the 90s downstream from the heater and into the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.