Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level in skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level in skimmer

Here is a photo of my skimmer. The current water level is at the bottom of the tab in the middle of top of the skimmer body. I am thinking thats too high and impacting my skimmer effectiveness? Thoughts?

33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water level in skimmer

Yes, that is a little too high. Goal is middle of the opening and high limit is about 2/3s. You want the water to draw the weir open at least a bit to increase the water velocity into the skimmer. That could be why the debris isn't being skmmed at 1100 rpm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It's a bit high and may be affecting it as pooldv said you want it at the midpoint. That being said I let mine get up that high with rain water in winter to do what I can to save water. In winter I get very little blown in so win/win I guess
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes if the water level is that high, it doesn't give floating debris much chance to get in there. 1/2 to 2/3 full is ideal to ensure debris is trapped in the skimmer. Otherwise it doesn't really impact overall pool performance, though if it is too low.... whole nother story there

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay i tried to measure the tile and opening, it appears my tile is 5 7/8" tall and the water is covering is just over 4" of the tile so i am just over 2/3 up the tile I set the auto fill to let it drop a little. I will adjust over the next couple of days. I did bump the pump rpms to 1300. I guess i need to mess with it.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

I get best performance at 3 1/2 inches of water going into the skimmer.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The weir door on the skimmer is where the primary skimming action occurs so the water level is somewhat irrelevant. 1/2 - 3/4 up the skimmer mouth is fine. Just be sure to check that the overflow is above the water level.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page