Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair controls confusing - what am I getting

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair controls confusing - what am I getting

I have a single body of water pool with a vs pump, swg, waterfall , cleaner pumpand a light. I am planning on adding a heater and changing the light to a colored led light. Al equipment is and will be pentair. I also have a diy acid doser.

I find pentair controls confusing. I am looking at an easy touch 4. I cannot tell if this means I can control 4 things in addition to my swg, pump and heater or if that means 4 including those devices. The reason I am looking at the easy tough vs the suntouch is that the easy touch will control the color led light. The separate control for this is pretty expensive and I thought the upgrade might be worth it.

Please give me some insight.

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair controls confusing - what am I getting

Tony,

Here is a quick run down of an EasyTouch 4..

1. The "4" means it has 4 relays inside.
    a. One relay will be used to control your SWG
    b. 2nd relay will control your light
    c. 3rd relay will control your cleaner pump, which I encourage you to not buy.. Use a robot instead, in my opinion, they are much better. You won't need the additional booster pump and won't need to use this relay.
    d. 4th relay is open for now. I suspect you PB will want to use it for a pad light, which will use up your last relay.

2. Assuming your are getting the Intelliflo (Which you should) the Easytouch will control that via a special cable provided with the pump

3. Your waterfall will be controlled via a valve. The EasyTouch have two user programmable valves, the waterfall will use one of them

4. The EasyTouch will control many heaters via a couple of wires added by you PB. Depending on the heater, this might require a relay. (If needed this will use your 4th relay)

5. The system should be programmed by your PB, before turning the system over to you.

6. I suggest that you should have your PB also install the Pentair ScrenLogic2 , which you can buy on-line for about $475. Makes using the EasyTouch 10 times easier that trying to use the control panel. You can control everything from your PC.

Good luck with your new system,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Jim - that is a great run down. I already have the pool. Thanks for all the info. I do have a robot and I do like it better. The other pump for now sits idle. it looks like I am set. Is the screen logic a diy option or should I buy from the installer?

Thank you,

Anthony

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974 View Post
    Jim - that is a great run down. I already have the pool. Thanks for all the info. I do have a robot and I do like it better. The other pump for now sits idle. it looks like I am set. Is the screen logic a diy option or should I buy from the installer?

Thank you,

Anthony
    Yes, it is a pretty simple DIY job. Sumplay.com has the whole set up for about $375. Comes with a program you load on your PC, a protocol adapter which speaks "Pentair" on one end and "Ethernet" on the other end, and a transmitter and receiver module. You can just run a cable to the Easytouch, or use the Receiver/Transmitter in place of the cable, whichever makes the most sense for your location.

You do need to have a router in your house that connects to the internet that has an open port you can use.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.