Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool size calculation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool size calculation

Is there a good website that can give me an accurate volume size of my pool? My pool is odd shaped (kind of like a fish) with different depths. I talked to the company that built the pool, and they say between 12K-15K gallons. Or is that close enough that I dont need to worry about the volume?

Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool size calculation

Amazing oasis you have there!

You can track your pool chem additions and see if you're usually over-shooting or under-shooting the expected change, and then adjust your volume accordingly. PoolMath provides accurate calculations, so this method works well to fine-tune pool volume. You could start in PoolMath with your best guess and go from there.

Pool volume inaccuracy will only cause significant problems with respect to chem additions that can't easily be reversed, such as CYA, CH and salt. Until you're sure of your volume, add 1/2 or 2/3 as much as PoolMath recommends, rather than the full amount. Then you can add the rest if needed, and also gain some information that helps with dialing in the pool volume.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Good thoughts above. If you want to calculate it, I'd use two circles for the basic shapes.
    With a pool the shape of a fish, I'd have to name it. Does your pool have a name?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Wanda?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

No names yet. Been thinking on that lately though.....open to some suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa