IC 20 vs. IC 40?

May 10, 2016
Sacramento, CA
I'm trying to piece together a replacement system to dispose of my OLLLLLLD Jandy equipment and am planning on using Pentair equipment. However, when it comes to SWGs they offer the IC20 (which is sized for my pool) and the IC40 (which I would think should hold more, last longer, and work faster) and the price between the two is like $30(???). Why would anyone buy the IC20 if what I believe is true? Is there a fault in my logic here? Am I just crazy? Please, tell me what I'm overlooking.

TFP recommends that you get a SWG that is two three times the size of your pool. The thinking is that with the larger SWG you can run the SWG less often and run the pump less. The insignificant extra cost to upgrade to a larger size is returned pretty quickly, longer SWG cell life and lower electricity costs.

Smaller SWG requires longer pump run times and higher electricity costs.

I can't tell you why people order the smaller SWGs. I told my pool guy that I wanted him to install a SWG and he argued till he was blue in the face that the SWG I wanted was way too big and that I needed the smaller SWG, sheesh.

Racer,

As kcindc pointed out, the IC20 is way to small for your pool. The rating is figured running the pump 24/7 and the percentage of output at 100%. Not something that most people do. I suggest that you go with a minimum of the IC40.

Jim R.

For a season-long average of 2.5 ppm FC daily loss in 15k gals, the IC20 would have to run 11 hours per day, vs. 5.5 hours for the IC40, providing flexibility.

If the IC60 isn't much more, I'd buy that. Life-cycle economics improve the larger you go. You can always turn them down :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.