Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IC 20 vs. IC 40?

1. Back To Top    #1

IC 20 vs. IC 40?

I'm trying to piece together a replacement system to dispose of my OLLLLLLD Jandy equipment and am planning on using Pentair equipment. However, when it comes to SWGs they offer the IC20 (which is sized for my pool) and the IC40 (which I would think should hold more, last longer, and work faster) and the price between the two is like $30(???). Why would anyone buy the IC20 if what I believe is true? Is there a fault in my logic here? Am I just crazy? Please, tell me what I'm overlooking.
    30x15 Grecian shaped monster, 15200 gal, with a bunch of outdated, undersized Jandy pool equipment waiting to be transformed into something beautiful.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: IC 20 vs. IC 40?

TFP recommends that you get a SWG that is two three times the size of your pool. The thinking is that with the larger SWG you can run the SWG less often and run the pump less. The insignificant extra cost to upgrade to a larger size is returned pretty quickly, longer SWG cell life and lower electricity costs.

Smaller SWG requires longer pump run times and higher electricity costs.

I can't tell you why people order the smaller SWGs. I told my pool guy that I wanted him to install a SWG and he argued till he was blue in the face that the SWG I wanted was way too big and that I needed the smaller SWG, sheesh.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

It is amazing how much the "experts" don't actually know!
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

4. Back To Top    #4

Racer,

As kcindc pointed out, the IC20 is way to small for your pool. The rating is figured running the pump 24/7 and the percentage of output at 100%. Not something that most people do. I suggest that you go with a minimum of the IC40.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's kind of what I figured. It just seems crazy that it is an option. Thanks for the replies!

30x15 Grecian shaped monster, 15200 gal, with a bunch of outdated, undersized Jandy pool equipment waiting to be transformed into something beautiful.

6. Back To Top    #6

For a season-long average of 2.5 ppm FC daily loss in 15k gals, the IC20 would have to run 11 hours per day, vs. 5.5 hours for the IC40, providing flexibility.

If the IC60 isn't much more, I'd buy that. Life-cycle economics improve the larger you go. You can always turn them down
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

Personally, I would by the 60. See the SWG calculator in my signature to see the difference in run time required for each.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator