Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measuring high FC levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Measuring high FC levels?

In reading these forums, I see posts with test results that include FC values like 14.2, 17, 21, but my Taylor test kit comparator gauge is similar to this one (not my photo):

It only goes up to 5, unless I'm reading it wrong. So, assuming I'm reading it correctly, how do people measure these high FC values? One reason for asking is so I know if I've reached a shock FC level when that is necessary.
    27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair SuperFlo (SF-N1-1A) pump, sand filter, Hayward t-15 SWG, Taylor K-2005 + FAS-DPD kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Measuring high FC levels?

Need a better kit. I use the tf-100 that everyone here likes. More accurate.
    20000 gal
    in-ground plaster, replaced early 2015
    Cartridge filtration,
    single speed pump
    well water

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by train460 View Post
    Need a better kit. I use the tf-100 that everyone here likes. More accurate.
    That's what I was assuming. Thanks for confirming.
    27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair SuperFlo (SF-N1-1A) pump, sand filter, Hayward t-15 SWG, Taylor K-2005 + FAS-DPD kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you need an FAS/DPD chlorine test. It measures FC up to 50 ppm. We recommend the K-2006 from Taylor or the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. I use the TF-100, it is the best value. More here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. You can also buy just the FAS/DPD at TFTestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you need an FAS/DPD chlorine test. It measures FC up to 50 ppm. We recommend the K-2006 from Taylor or the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. I use the TF-100, it is the best value. More here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. You can also buy just the FAS/DPD at TFTestkits.net.
    The K-2005 I have was from the previous owner, and isn't very old (they had just put the pool in when they got relocated). Perhaps, the FAS/DPD kit is the way to go for me, to augment what I already have in the K-2005. Thanks for the suggestion.