Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water

It's been raining A LOT, have had to increase chlorine levels to keep the pool blue during that time. I am keeping the chlorine at my normal 4 now.

pH is 7.2
    CL 4

but the water is cloudy......tried to find a thread about this but couldn't readily locate one.

Will boarating the water clear this up? Never have used borates to this point, but wondered if that was the problem.

Thanks
    25K GALLON IG VINYL
    LASER SAND JACUZZI FILTER #250L 66GPM JACUZZI 1.0 HP PUMP
    UNDER WATER LIGHT
    10 YEARS OLD, LINER 2 YRS OLD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water

No, borates won't help. Extra FC and extra pump time will clear it. FC level is set based on CYA level and the FC/CYA Chart. It needs to be above minimum at all times to keep the pool sanitary and algae free. Raise FC up to 50% of shock level to help clear it up. If you suspect some algae or bacteria growing in the pool you can perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to check.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for clearing (no pun intended) that up!

I just raised the level again to 1/2 of shock, which, based on my CYA of 20 I have been keeping it at all this time, at 4

I will run the filter longer as I have been only running it 2 hours a day, and see if that helps. Thanks!
    25K GALLON IG VINYL
    LASER SAND JACUZZI FILTER #250L 66GPM JACUZZI 1.0 HP PUMP
    UNDER WATER LIGHT
    10 YEARS OLD, LINER 2 YRS OLD

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Two hours is definitely not enough run time to keep to the water clear.

You should run the pump at least 4 hours a day to keep the water clear. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile