Converting to salt...part II

That overnight loss is acceptable but on the edge. So I would suggest you elevate your FC to 10ppm with bleach and then turn the SWG back ON. Given your location, I think 40-50ppm is too low. In any event, with an SWG pool your minimum CYA is 70ppm so you also need to add more CYA.

bleach and CYA added. I'll test FC in an hour, and CYA when USPS shows up.
EDIT: SWG is back ON. Currently at 50%. Should I increase it, or just let it ride and see how things end up with the CYA increased?

Is there any way to test the SWG, to make sure that its working? With the luck we had on this pool build, I would not be surprised to find out that it isn't working / is not connected properly.

I'm not much help, but it would be interesting to know if you can hold onto CYA mixture for a few hours. Seems like you should be able to...

Also, OP, just wanted to tell you that your pool is gorgeous!

Did you add granular or liquid CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, it looks like you have a spillway there from your spa. With your SWG running at high output and the spillover going, you need to keep an eye on your pH as it will almost certainly want to rise. You can expect your acid demand to be very high in a new pool with an SWG and aeration so try to keep a close watch on the pH and TA so that you can keep your CSI in check.

By the way, your waterline tile looks almost exactly like my water line tile....good choice ;)

I would also suggest you turn your SWG up higher, maybe 90% output just so that you can slow down the loss a little bit. Once you get a good handle on all of your chemical levels, better decisions can be made about what to do. You're not harming your SWG by running it at higher output and you'll eventually get it dialed in, it just takes time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you measure a pH of 9, electronic probe? Either way, keep a better eye on that pH or else you'll get scaling (especially around your spillway).

Do NOT add calcium. You live in TX, your water is hard, it will build up over time on it's own through evaporation and refill and, in a few short years, you'll be wondering how your CH got up to 950ppm like mine did ;)

Bleach has some extra lye in it, but it's really not enough to make a huge difference. Your SWG and spillway provide for a lot of aeration and your fill water could have high pH/TA, those tend to be the dominant sources of pH rise along with the massive wad of calcium carbonate sitting in your pool, AKA plaster. Newly plastered pools will continue to emit small amounts of calcium hydroxide over time until the surface can fully passivate with calcium carbonate and calcium silicate. It can take upwards of a year for the acid demand to come down. So find a cheap source of muriatic acid because you will be using a lot of it.

- - - Updated - - -

USPS came.

CYA is 70

That's the lowest it should be for an SWG pool (I keep mine between 80 and 90ppm). However, don't change it at all. We want to absolutely sure your FC is properly holding and all things are normal in case a SLAM should become necessary. At 70ppm CYA, the shock level of FC is 28ppm which is a lot of bleach when you do have to add it. The first (and only time) I had to do it I was at 90ppm CYA and I thought to myself - "holy cow I'm making some executive at Clorox really happy today...."

Let's see how your FC plays out today. We may even do another OCLT tonight just to be super-obsessive about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.