calcium hardness low

63john

Jul 10, 2016
slidell
I noticed in Pool - Chemistry a suggestion was made when increasing CH to use either of the following (which is cheaper than Leslie's Calcium Harness powder sold in 4 lb jugs.
Pelalow, Dowflake, Tetraflake, or Tetra 94. If so has any one tried these and if so what dosage was used per 1000 gallons water, thanks.

ph7.4
FC 6.5
CC 1.0
TC 7.5
TA 120
CH 100
CYA 50

Careful with de-icers. You need to confirm purity. Many cheap de-icers will be a blend of calcium chloride with straight salt (sodium chloride) and magnesium chloride. You might save a few bucks but you'll be adding some stuff your pool does not need. Some de-icers will also contain silica sand as well which is just dirt in your pool.

thanks Jpyfulnoise FYI, I just called "Snoejoe" 1 866 766 9563 www.snoejoe.com and when discussing the "snoe joe de icer" to confirm the % CC, the conversation shifted to swimming pools and the young lady there said the Chinese manufacturer said the product is a de-icer only and has not been tested with swimming pools.
This occurred because I earlier called Home depot who doesn't stock but will order "to store" in week & half to avoid delivery charges to home, where HD mentioned the CC content was "60-100 %". I mentioned this is vague because chemical manufacturer are usually very specific with a chemical as for example Leslies' P0wer plus at 73 % hypochlorite.
Anyway food for thought because Russell C says above it works for him.
any way still searching for the 50 lb bag to be delivered to HD, ACE, or Lowe's to save delivery charges to homej
regards

Most cheaply sourced de-icers are not going to be anywhere near 100% calcium chloride. It's one thing I'll give Pool Stores credit on, the CH Increaser that they sell is high purity calcium chloride. All calcium chloride manufactured in the world comes as a by-product of the Solvay process whose end products are soda ash (sodium carbonate) and calcium chloride. Good quality "snow melt" chemicals are mostly calcium chloride because the hydration reaction is very exothermic and produces enough heat to overcome sub-zero freezing temperatures as the freezing point depression of chloride salts is limited below a certain temperature. So if you live in a cold climate, you can always tell a cheap de-icer from a good one because only the good ones will work at low temperature.

If the ice-melt product is coming from China, well you can almost bet that it is not going to be high purity. There will likely be a significant amount of salt in it and possible magnesium chloride and sand. If you do buy it, I do a bucket test on the material you get to see how it affects pH, TA, CH and salt levels. You can do a bucket test. If my math is correct (doing this on the fly) - 1/4 tsp of pure calcium chloride in 4 gallons of pool water should increase your CH by 200ppm (roughly). You can take your product, add a 1/4 tsp and see where the CH goes. The amount of CH rise you get will give you an indication of how pure the material is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RussellC
I found the Red bag of MELT at Home depot online 25 lbs for 16.99 no delivery $$ if send to HD then go pickup (they notify you by email).. Then I tested regular pool water and CH read 150 ( 6 drops). Then added 1/4 teaspoon w pail of 4 gal water and CH read 300 (12drops).
So went to Pool math where suggestion to get from 150 to 300 CH is 355 ounces or 22 lbs of MELT. Will empty the 22 pounds (it dissolves very quickly when broadcast over water).
Question is should I broadcast the 22 lbs (nearly the whole bag of 25 ) at once evenly around the pool at one time, half now half an hour later ? thanks
Also wondered if a low calcium reading ( 100 or less) chemically encourages indirectly or otherwise a growth of black algae?
thanks

I haven't had this problem but some say adding lots of calcium at once can cause temporary cloudiness. I have never had to add that much at once. You can always add a few pounds at a time, let it dissolve and then come back a half hour later and add more until you get to where you need to go. Always under do it in case pool math is a little off or your pool size measurement is a little off.

As for the black algae - it has nothing to do with calcium. Algae grows because of low FC for your CYA. What do your other numbers read now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.