Easytouch questions related to IntelliChlor (IC60)

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm putting together my wish list for a system for a new pool build. I'm leaning towards a Pentair pump and Pentair SWG. This will be for a pool and spa likely around 16,000 gallons. From what I have seen on Pentair's site they have a bundle that includes Easytouch 8 w/ "SCG integration" + IC60 cell and 2 actuators. I read the "SCG integration" to mean they have a built in transformer in the panel that negates having to use the external transformer. I really only need the Easytouch 4 and personally would rather use Jandy actuators, so I'm looking at starting with the base Easytouch 4 and adding on. So 2 questions:
1) Does the base Easytouch 4 panel include a transformer or is this only in the "SC" (bundled) versions?
2) There is a single body (Easytouch 4P) and pool/spa (Easytouch 4) version. The "4" includes 2 actuators. I would prefer to use Jandy actuators. I believe there are other differences than just the included actuators. Can someone confirm that for a pool/spa combo that I need to purchase the "4" version?

I don't believe the ET 4 is bundled with the IC60, only the 40. Jandy actuators will work with the ET if that's what you want to use but there is nothing wrong with the CVA24s from Pentair. I have 5 of them and haven't had any issues.

If you break down each items price in the ET8 w/IC60 you'll see that it really is the best bang for the buck.

With an ET4, you will only have 3 relays since the 4th is used to run the pump, SWG and heater. I would much rather have 4 unused relays in my panel than wish I had one just more.

Foos,

No matter how you buy it, I'd also recommend the ET8 instead of the 4. I have the ET4 and have already had to kluge in another relay. Once you have automation, you will keep finding things you want to add. As Brian already pointed out, the ET4 really only has three unused relays. Most people use another relay for the pool light and that assumes you only have one light. If you have multiple colored lights and you want to be able to independently change the lights color, you'll need one relay for each independent light. In my case my pad light is controlled by the ET, as is my Pool Landscape lighting, and my water fill valve takes another one.

You can buy the ET4 and ET8 with and without SWGs and actuators, but I think the cheapest version, in the long run, includes both.

Since you have a Pool and Spa, make sure that you buy the "Dual Bodies" Version and not the "Single Body" Version".. Some ET's have the internal SWG power supply and some don't, so make sure you buy the ET with the internal PS.

Thanks for the feedback! I ran the numbers and as bdavis466 points out the ET 8 with I60 bundle is the best bang for the buck (seems like a no brainer now). Also, good input on the CVA24, I will plan to use these. I also didn't realize 4 was so limiting, so I like the headroom. I am definitely adding Screen Logic and have no plans to add a remote...everything will be controlled thru iphone / ipad. I just got really excited as I saw Pentair is working on Amazon Echo integration: Alexa "Turn on Spa".

Thanks for the feedback! I ran the numbers and as bdavis466 points out the ET 8 with I60 bundle is the best bang for the buck (seems like a no brainer now). Also, good input on the CVA24, I will plan to use these. I also didn't realize 4 was so limiting, so I like the headroom. I am definitely adding Screen Logic and have no plans to add a remote...everything will be controlled thru iphone / ipad. I just got really excited as I saw Pentair is working on Amazon Echo integration: Alexa "Turn on Spa".

What was the attraction to the Jandy actuators?

I think I would rather be in the spa with Alexa :oops: but in my world, it would just be another female that doesn't listen to me.

What was the attraction to the Jandy actuators?

I think I would rather be in the spa with Alexa :oops: but in my world, it would just be another female that doesn't listen to me.

LOL. When meeting with pool builders they want the wife to be there...one told me the other day, 99% of the time the wife and husband disagree and 99% of the time the wife wins. On the valves, I read an opinion from one guy (looks like it's a 3 year old blog):

"The Pentair Valve actuators (the device that turns the valves automatically form say Pool to Spa) are sub par. . The gears and motor were redesigned a few years ago and they are constantly not turning correctly. I would recommend any other brand Valve Actuator over the Pentair one. Jandy Valve Actuators are the best. But the automated system itself is easy to operate and reliable."

Who was it that said that?

You'll have a 3 year warranty on all of your equipment anyway. If one fails after that you can replace it with whatever you choose.

That's the first one heard of that issue with the CVAs

Here is the source, he seems to be a Pentair fan except for the actuators:
http://poolmandave.blogspot.com/2013/11/who-makes-best-pool-equipment-pentair.html

I totally agree, I will run the CVA24's into the ground...they aren't a high dollar item like a pump/etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.