Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My resurfacing project

1. Back To Top    #1

My resurfacing project

It's been a big week! They arrived on Tuesday morning and used 3 pumps to drain the pool. It took 1.5 hours. I was a little sad about seeing that freshly-slammed, crystal clear water flow down the backyard, but it had served its purpose as practice and point of pride.

Demo started just after a quick lunch break. By 1:00, the pool looked like it had been dry for years. For budgetary reasons, the "vintage" sky blue tiles will remain for the near future. I don't like them, but my checking account does, and they're actually in very good shape. The demo could've been an archeologist's dream: we think we undid paint, plaster, fiberglass, paint, plaster. #moneypit

On Wednesday I had this mud pit. The curing mud, whatever it is, smelled as good as it looked.

I should've taken a picture of the air-exchanger the guys used. It was a massive machine that pulled the dust from the room amazingly well. They were worried about leaving dusty footprints on the tile. The kitchen was torn out 2 weeks ago - the pool guys had no idea how low my current standards of dust are!

Diamond Brite Blue was applied on Thursday. I was initially panicked when I saw NO evidence of quartz/aggregate in the surface - I even called SGM to discuss it. They talked me off the ledge.

They began the fill on Friday morning. It took 17 hours, which included asking Siri for several dead-of-night wake-up calls to check on it. In hindsight, I should've added another or another couple of hoses.

I don't have an "after" shot. This is after the first brushing, which was another moment of panic when the perfect water clouded up. It's SO different than an algae cloud - this cloud was gone within an hour.

A new ladder comes tomorrow.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My resurfacing project

Love it!
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

That is fantastic! Congrats!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Neat, that is very deep for a small pool. Is it completely indoors?
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks awesome!

Andy - 30' oval (13,500 gallons) IG, Painted Concrete, concrete surround. Pentair Sand Dollar SD4 sand filter and Pentair Pinnacle PFII-PI 3/4 HP single speed pump. Using Bleach/MA/Baking Soda and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    Neat, that is very deep for a small pool. Is it completely indoors?
    Yes, it's more or less in the center of the house. I never thought I would dive into it. The ledge on the deep end is very narrow, but when the pool was empty it looked even deeper. I wondered about diving toward the deep end instead of away from it. (I probably won't - I hate water in my ears)
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome. Fascinating pool layout, really interesting that it's indoors. Anyway to post a few pics of the pool room? I'm curious to see what it looks like. Where is the equipment, in a closet?

Do you have issues with condensation? Or is there a special venting system installed?
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Triton II sand filter, Hayward Pump, Raypak 266 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. It's definitely a unique home. There are still too many projects for "after" pics, but here are some the prev owners posted on Zillow:

The equipment resides in a utility room on the lower level. It's underneath the pool room closets. There's a VS exhaust fan with an auto-damper in the ceiling and a commercial rooftop HVAC unit that sits outside on the other side of the white wall. The white wall contains ductwork with vents along the window sill.

I haven't been in the home through a winter yet, so I don't what to expect from humidity when the walls and windows are cold. The previous owners didn't use the cover much, but I think I might cover it when the water is warm. The heater is sized such that it can heat the water quickly. (in fact, when I first saw the pool heater, I mistook it for a whole-house boiler)

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the additional pictures. Very unique house, I love it. Looks like one of the bedrooms looks straight into the pool? I think the only problem I'd have there is my wife would hate the noise of me swimming at night while she's trying to sleep.

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is a link to TFP's plaster start up. Please run it by the person that holds the warranty card! Note the no swimming for 30 days depends on how it was started. Ask your plaster person what they say.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

That looks awesome! on all of the layers! WOW! At least YOU did it right!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ntobik View Post
    I think the only problem I'd have there is my wife would hate the noise of me swimming at night while she's trying to sleep.
    Maybe you could get her to join you by selling a night swim in a pest/frog-free pool! (I actually found a frog in the skimmer last month after keeping the patio door open for 30 minutes. The little guy's intention of a quick swim didn't work out so well, but generally speaking....)

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Kim, I studied the start-up article before the project started, and it was some of the discrepancies between that and the mfr recommendations that concerned me. I'm still not sure why the mfr chooses to post recommendations from customers instead of experts. That strikes me like Ford saying something like: "people tell us to recommend 5w-50 oil in our engines!"

13. Back To Top    #13

I like your tile! It looks a lot like my NEW tile that we just got in April. Very classic.
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

14. Back To Top    #14

Tile matches water beautifully. Wish i had a pool INSIDE my house!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoastr View Post
    Maybe you could get her to join you by selling a night swim in a pest/frog-free pool! (I actually found a frog in the skimmer last month after keeping the patio door open for 30 minutes. The little guy's intention of a quick swim didn't work out so well, but generally speaking....)
    Yes, swimming at night means swimming with the crickets and whatever other weird bugs decide they like the pool light. Indoor would eliminate that.

For a stretch I was pulling mice and rats out of the skimmer basket. My last one was in June. I went to grab a big "leaf" out of the skimmer basket and to my surprise the "leaf" was furry. Not a sensation or experience I wish to relive. I guess this is why the baskets have those handles on the top...

16. Back To Top    #16

We pulled a SKUNK out of the skimmer this spring!!!! Ewwwww!!!!!!!!! Beautiful and unique pool! I can't imagine having a pool right outside the bedroom. Cool!
    Sherry
    19,000 gallons, In ground 16 x 32, Vinyl liner, Sand filter Hayward Pro Series S-244T (300 lb media), Pump Hayward 1 hp, Install March 1998, water test kit- TF-100 -- New Liner installed 07-07-2016 -- Mountain Top/Blue Mosaic by Kafko, Installed new 1 hp pump motor on 06-28-2017

17. Back To Top    #17

rats, crickets, frogs, mice, snakes and a skunk... I have a whole new appreciation for that sliding glass door between the yard and the pool!

18. Back To Top    #18

Today marks 3 weeks since the re-surface/fill.

...but of course I'll be away for the wkd. On Sunday I plan to fire-up the heater (I hope it actually works). Maybe on Monday I'll can make my first-ever splash in my pool...!?

19. Back To Top    #19

Wow, time flies! Sounds like a plan!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoastr View Post
    That beats the 4 foot water moccasin we had climb out of our pool a couple of months ago. By the time I got inside and back with my pistol, it had vacated the area. A cloudy pool for us is just not an option. Not being able to see the bottom has serious risk with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast