Question About CYA

Apr 3, 2016
Spring, TX
Relatively new to the forum. Haven't had a chance to change my signature but had a quick question about CYA. Live in Texas and we've been getting monsoonal rains down here which has wreaked havoc on chlorine levels. Have a tri-chlor canister on my system (I know...boo, hiss.....but still learning and was put on by my PB). I've been either using Cal-Hypo shock or liquid chlorine to bring chlorine levels back up rather than crank up my feeder but noticed that CYA levels have remained constant. If these rains are displacing so much water to swing my chlorine, and I'm not adding more CYA by cranking up my feeder, shouldn't CYA also go down? Or is it that CYA is only at lower depths and never gets ran off with the rain. Silly question, I'm sure, but something doesn't necessarily compute with all the rain we've got. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Republic of Texas
23,500 gallon in-ground free form pool
Pebblesheen finish

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your CYA is distributed equally. Problem is that when you have lots of rain like we did the past week, you're probably only replacing a small amount of water from overflow as opposed to actually draining water and replacing. So the CYA drop isn't as dramatic. Same example as for those who try to lower CYA by slowly draining water while adding at the same time with a garden hose. Eventually it will go down, but not as fast. I had that same issue last week.

Nice to have you with us.

Thanks Texas Splash! I see your point on slowly lowering because you're not removing a lot of water but, we've had a lot of rain daily here in Houston (guessing San Antonio has too) and would have expected at least some lowering rather than staying put. Guess it's just the feeder replacing it in between the rain and the time I measure.

I'm in Katy and have experienced the recent rains, too.

You said "I'm not adding more CYA by cranking up my feeder". Is the chlorinator still on, just at a lower setting?

I'm a recent convert to BBB and have my chlorinator completely turned off.

Also, I tried the drain / refill process to lower CYA for a few rounds and it was a slow process. Once I figured out how to use the main drains only (no suction from skimmers) I drained a lot more and then refilled. Much better results that way.

Looks like we're in the same boat and even using the same oar! I converted to BBB toward the end of July and turned off my chlorinator in the process. Aug 1-5 I went to Galveston so I loaded up my chlorinator and turned it on full blast while I was gone. Good news - pool was still clear by the time I returned. Bad news - CYA spiked up, but I was able to drain and refill and get back to BBB (added 55lbs of boric acid this past weekend).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If memory is correct, I ended up draining around 20k gallons over about 6 weeks. Started off with a very high CYA (150-200?) and brought it down to 50 during that time period. Wish I would have brought it down to 30-40 but I just got a little anxious to get the boric acid in the pool. I'm debating on dropping CYA to 30-40 through a drain / refill but that would mean I have to adjust the other chemistry, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.