Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Determined the height of my pool leak but now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Determined the height of my pool leak but now what?

Hi all, I'm a rookie pool owner that just bought a home with a pool a few months ago. I knew nothing whatsoever about pools before this and my knowledge remains extremely limited except for the SLAM process which I did plenty of and memorized very well!

I have a water leak problem. I was previously unable to identify where the water was leaking from. Following advice given on this board, I decided to let it leak for a few days without adding water to see how far it dropped. Over about a 36 hour period the water dropped to the level you see here. I let it sit for a few days and it never got any lower.

Don't mind the greenish hue... This has unfortunately been sitting for about a week and it's getting a little bit gross.

Based on the water no longer dropping any lower than this point, I'm assuming the problem has to do with either the skimmer basket cutout or something hardware related. Visual inspection of the skimmer basket looks fine. No water dripping and gasket around the opening appears to be intact (but then again I also have no idea what I'm looking at either.)

I've noticed that the ground in the area is moist all the time no matter what. Surely this is related somehow:

At this point, I am completely at a loss as far as what to do next. Any suggestions? If so, please bare with be as I have genuinely no clue what I'm doing with any of this stuff and will be learning as I go.

Thanks,
    Andy
    About my pool:
    Above ground, 30 feet (round)
    About 22,000 gallons
    18" Sand filter, 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump
    Water added from well

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Determined the height of my pool leak but now what?

Andy, It looks like the leak is in the return, the water looks to be below the skimmer.. you should be able to buy a new return and replace that whole piece..

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023G Vinyl Fiberglass Inlet Fittings for Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with cowboy casey. It looks like the water level is right at the return. If there isnt any visible sign of water leaking from the return pipe, i'ts possible the rubber gasket on the return is compromised and the water is leaking down between the liner and the pool wall.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll pick up a new one and swap it out! Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted.
    About my pool:
    Above ground, 30 feet (round)
    About 22,000 gallons
    18" Sand filter, 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump
    Water added from well