Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "You don't need to worry about CYA <dude> if the water looks clear". Agree?

1. Back To Top    #1

"You don't need to worry about CYA <dude> if the water looks clear". Agree?

Hello. I was hope today and the pool guy stopped by to check on a small leak at the filter. I took the opportunity to pick his brain about testing and balancing my pool water since he took care of the pool last year (I started doing it myself this year).

Other than the fact that he looked like he just smoked a bowl in his truck, our conversation proceeded as follows:

Me: My CYA level is between 90 and 100, so I need to amp up my FC to around 10 or so per the calculator on the Troublefree Pool website
    Pool guy: Dude, like, yo man, every pool is different and you don't need to worry about CYA
    Me: But I thought that CYA affects how the chlorine sanitizes the pool
    Pool guy: Dude, I work on pools with crazy high levels of CYA, and I keep the FC at 2.5 or so and don't have problems. Every pool is different.
    Me: But I thought at my CYA level, I need to keep my FC at around a 10
    Pool guy: Like, yo, dude, at a 10 level that chlorine will, like, eat at your skin and cause a rash. Don't you know the skin is the body's largest organ?
    Me: But I am concerned about the sanitation level of the pool
    Pool guy: Dude, so long as you can see the bottom drains of the pool clearly, your water is fine and you are good to go. Don't worry about CYA, dude

Does anyone have any comments? Am I getting too crazy over CYA, dudes and dudettes?
    32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "You don't need to worry about CYA <dude> if the water looks clear". Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Does anyone have any comments? Am I getting too crazy over CYA, dudes and dudettes?
    By posting on this forum, I think you already know the answer to the question you pose.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, dude, like, I'm pretty sure you already know what our answer is going to be..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is good to keep cya low enough that you can keep FC under 10 because the PH test isnt valid when FC is above 10. FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

This is an example of why we (TFP veterans) think so little of people in the pool maintenance industry. Over and over again they demonstrate a complete lack of pool chemistry understanding ... and thus we almost immediately discredit anyone in the industry. While there are certainly a few out there that know what they are doing, a vast majority give them all a bad name.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It is good to keep cya low enough that you can keep FC under 10 because the PH test isnt valid when FC is above 10. FC/CYA Chart
    Good answer...

7. Back To Top    #7

Clyde,
    Although it's been known since 1974, you will not find many, if any, people in the pool industry who know about the CYA/FC relationship. This subject is not taught in Certified Pool Operator training class.

The pool industry use for chlorine is to control bacteria, not algae. So, having that discussion with them will be frustraing and basically, a waste of time.

The pool store shelves are filled with shock and algecide to work on the algae you will eventually get if you follow the pool industry guidelines. Selling that stuff to the unsuspecting public is how they make their living. If the pool industry supported the FC/CYA relationship, they would al go out of business. So they don't.

if you want to expand your knowledge on the subject, here is a link to "what is not taught in CPO training".
    Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught

enjoy
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

One other comment here on that if it is clear it is safe comment. This can be very far from the truth as is evident with such conditions as "hot tub rash". Chlorine at the correct levels does a surprisingly good job at keeping algae, as well as most viruses and bacteria under control, out of those three the only one visible to the naked eye is algae. Therefore it is common practice to use the lack of visible algae in a pool as a proxy for there being sufficient chlorination to prevent most viruses and bacteria. This all works fine until you get into situations where CYA gets insanely high and the pool professionals response is to add algaecides and other magic potions to keep the water clear instead of fixing the underlying FC/CYA ratio problem or lowering CYA levels to something sane. So suddenly you find a situation where you have a clear pool, thanks to these expensive potions (algaecides, phosphate removers, etc.), but now with no idea if your chlorine is at a high enough active level thanks to all that CYA to kill those viruses and bacteria you can't see.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

I hate the clear = safe argument

The clear water in Havelock North, NZ last week tested positive for campylobactor and e coli for certain
    It is suspected there is giardia
    and cryptosporidium also present. In a town of approx 15,000 people about 4,500 have fallen ill
    Admittedly this is from drinking the water, but the water is drawn from an aquifer between 20-50m down
    I would think it easier to get contamination at ground level

Now people are asking for their water to be chlorinated, go figure
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I think it was the brain eating amoeba from some "clear" water that made him so stupid. The smoked bowl raised his IQ by 20 points!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

You guys are brutal! LOL But - that conversation is very familiar. It seems much of the pool industry was been employee-stocked with burnouts and transplanted surfers. I had some not-too-dissimilar discussions before abandoning the pool store(s) in favor of the advice I have here. For the last couple of years, my friends have called me the Walter White of pools.

More to the point, I assume you've seen the CYA/Chlorine chart, which prompted your question. To look deeper into this, take a look at this post by chem geek. You can wade through this and see the effect of CYA vs Chlorine and see that you are right on point with raising the chlorine levels.

Incidentally, chem geek is kinda my super hero...I love this stuff!! LOL
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
    You guys are brutal! LOL But - that conversation is very familiar. It seems much of the pool industry was been employee-stocked with burnouts and transplanted surfers.
    In areas with short swim seasons most pool store employees are seasonal, this means you get the college students taking a summer job and are just parroting what they are told and getting their pay check. There isn't much reason for these guys and gals to really delve in to studying as they won't be there come September.

In areas with year-round swimming you have such stiff competition that you can't pay enough for someone to care. When a company is doing weekly service for less than $100 a month then quantity is king, not quality. So they hire someone for $12/hr to drive out, dip a test strip, and follow instructions. They aren't water chemistry experts, they are just following directions and getting through 30 pools a day.

As for where they are getting their information, well at my supplier there is a poster from a prominent chemical company. It explains all the reasons customers shouldn't use bleach, the same ones we hear parroted over and over again. TDS, damage liners, etc. The best part? No joke, the poster is literally sitting next to a pallet of 12.5% liquid chlorine. This is the information that most of those people are working on and they have no reason to go deeper for a job that pays too little and/or is seasonal.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    In areas with short swim seasons most pool store employees are seasonal, this means you get the college students taking a summer job and are just parroting what they are told and getting their pay check. There isn't much reason for these guys and gals to really delve in to studying as they won't be there come September.

In areas with year-round swimming you have such stiff competition that you can't pay enough for someone to care. When a company is doing weekly service for less than $100 a month then quantity is king, not quality. So they hire someone for $12/hr to drive out, dip a test strip, and follow instructions. They aren't water chemistry experts, they are just following directions and getting through 30 pools a day.

As for where they are getting their information, well at my supplier there is a poster from a prominent chemical company. It explains all the reasons customers shouldn't use bleach, the same ones we hear parroted over and over again. TDS, damage liners, etc. The best part? No joke, the poster is literally sitting next to a pallet of 12.5% liquid chlorine. This is the information that most of those people are working on and they have no reason to go deeper for a job that pays too little and/or is seasonal.
    Great points. I worked for a pool company many years ago and everything I now know about water chem I learned here. I did learn some useful things while working there but it was outside the water chem category. Unfortunately everyone who worked there had the same knowledge as me (nothing).

As part of my job now I am responsible for the oversight of my hospital's blood gas laboratory. From that I've realized that even stores with people who have the knowledge can't reliably provide advice based on their water testing. I would guarantee that 99% never run control samples to ensure the machines are operating properly. Which is why we all say get the test kit from here. Those machines are not faulty in and of themselves, they are just not maintained properly thus they cannot obtain proper results.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you ask your pool dude how he enjoyed Rio and caring for the diving pool at the Olympic venue?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

15. Back To Top    #15

Keep in mind that the pool industry normally shocks every week. TFP does not. So his answers are based on his whole solution of maintaining 1-4 FC and shocking weekly. In alot of cases, that probably does keep the water pretty clear most of the time especially at low CYA levels but if the CYA starts to get high, that 1-4 FC and weekly shock is not going to have the same effect. Then they are going to tell you that you have Chlorine lock and suggest that you drain the pool or add phosphate remover or some other potions.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

I can tell you from a person going through a SLAM process right now, CYA matters. I let my CYA levels get high (unknowingly), water was clear (could see the phillips head screw on the drain), tested water weekly and the Chlorine was reading good, AND I started getting algae. CYA matters
    18'x32' IG Pool w/Spa, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, Pentair 3hp Intelliflo, 420SQ Ft Pentair Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 Heater, TF 100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    One other comment here on that if it is clear it is safe comment. This can be very far from the truth as is evident with such conditions as "hot tub rash". Chlorine at the correct levels does a surprisingly good job at keeping algae, as well as most viruses and bacteria under control, out of those three the only one visible to the naked eye is algae. Therefore it is common practice to use the lack of visible algae in a pool as a proxy for there being sufficient chlorination to prevent most viruses and bacteria. This all works fine until you get into situations where CYA gets insanely high and the pool professionals response is to add algaecides and other magic potions to keep the water clear instead of fixing the underlying FC/CYA ratio problem or lowering CYA levels to something sane. So suddenly you find a situation where you have a clear pool, thanks to these expensive potions (algaecides, phosphate removers, etc.), but now with no idea if your chlorine is at a high enough active level thanks to all that CYA to kill those viruses and bacteria you can't see.

Ike
    I'm glad you brought this up. as a new bromine pool owner my water has been crystal clear, no algae... but had low ph, very low alkalinity and 0 bromine. I had used no magic potions to attain this and had no side affects but had me wondering if it was good or not.

then I'm thinking about your bacteria comment and I think about all the lakes I swim in and I really wonder. How bad is clear pool with limited sanitizer?
    24,000 gallons, IG, vinyl
    Pump: dyna-tech 1hp
    Filter: Hayward S210T w/ variflow xl
    brominator: perform-max pool sanitizer

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    then I'm thinking about your bacteria comment and I think about all the lakes I swim in and I really wonder. How bad is clear pool with limited sanitizer?
    A lake is an active ecosystem, water is a small stagnant body of water. Now, it does take very little active chlorine or bromine to make water in a residential pool relatively safe, bacteria is much less resistant to chlorine/bromine than algae, but if there is zero FC or Br in a pool then it is not much safer than any stagnant water source.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

19. Back To Top    #19

I will also add that a concern in a pool is person to person disease transmission ... there is a lot less water in a pool than in a lake, so the odds of transmission are higher if the sanitizer is not sufficient.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!