Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What I learned here in a few weeks

1. Back To Top    #1

New Haven CT

What I learned here in a few weeks

Hopefully this will help other newbies like me. I bought a new house with a pool in the back and had no idea what I was getting into. The owners ran through "Pool School" with me in about 30 minutes, shooting from the hip!

Within a week my pool was getting cloudy and turning green. I found this forum and the help provided turned it around in 4 days to a clear blue pool. I just like looking at it if that makes sense.

Before I found this site I stopped at the pool store, bought a kit that didn't test everything, and later had a water sample tested.

Now nearly 3 weeks later I reread the store report and see what I didn't at the time.

CYA was measured at 90
    FC = 3ppm

I has no idea this ratio was way off but the report was all "good" with only phosphates high at 400. Once I got the Tf100 kit I was able see the CYA and Fc levels and with info on this site found I needed a lot more chlorine at that CYA level. But by the time I figured this out the pool was green!

I'm sure no expert by any means buy I do understand the chemistry now and the water shows it. I have kept the FC level within the range on the table listed here using the extra shock I bought. A little goes a long way now. I have the CYA down to 50-55 and FC about 7
    New Haven, CT
    16 x 32 x 8 in-ground vinyl , sand filter
    22,000 gallons
    Leslie test kit, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: What I learned here in a few weeks

That's a great post, Gary.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: What I learned here in a few weeks

Nice work, thanks for the feedback!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach