Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue Stone Coping is stained

1. Back To Top    #1

Blue Stone Coping is stained

Our coping has picked up a few stains this summer (new pool). I'm thinking its either from the bleach that I used to chlorinate before the SWG was turned on or its from the Acid that I add to keep PH in check. Has anyone else had this issue and do you have any idea on how to clean it?
    Central Md. 37 X 21 24K IG Custom Gunite with Anvil Quartz finish. Raised Spa.
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.
    Pentair 1.5 Hp Variable Speed Pump. TF100. Dolphin Z-5. First swim 5/26/16

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Blue Stone Coping is stained

I agree that at first glace it appears as staining, but honestly I don't think it is.

I think it is just some natural variation in the stone (and the iron oxide present that rusts and turns orange). Your bluestone is a fairly consistent blue color. But that is not indicative of the stone in nature. PA Bluestone has natural color variation from rusts, to browns to blues. If you look in my build thread (link in my signature) on page 2, you'll see an extreme example of that variation within one stone in particular. While much of the variation is generally between stones it does occur within a stone too.

The following link and the link within it to "Rust on Bluestone" does a fantastic job of explaining it. Honestly, stone is natural and I wouldn't fight nature but appreciate it.

http://blog.stonecareonline.org/clea...on-on-the-web/
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the link and advice. I will purchase some of the Rust Remover and give it a whirl. Where are you located, we are in Mt Airy?
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

PM Sent.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe not helpful but I've gotta say, beautiful choice for coping, deck, and step tiles!
    My marbella has stained some, but in a different way, it's a light stone and a table that was rusted on the bottom caused rust to stain it and some plants that were on it caused a black staining. I sealed it from inside out, not a topical coating, which I was told still allows the stone to stain, but still protects it.
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Looks like acid staining to me, has the appearance of droplets that have hit the stone, and one of the cobble stones behind it in the 1st pic looks stained also, because you mentioned that you added acid to the pool from the pools edge, and as easy as it is to spill some while doing that, would be what i would want to know happened, not that my stones are going to turn orange over time.

Because that style, and color coping stone works very well with the rest of the color scheme around the pool area ( blue )
    I would expect my pool builder to explain to me that if i chose this coping material i would have to understand that the material can bleed an orange color that looks like a stain, and will make your wife cry.

That way i will most likely choose another material that wont do that, because the last thing i would want is to find out my carefully designed pool and blue color coordinated coping stone also doubles as a "mood ring"

If this is a natural effect that the blue stones change color, i wouldn't be happy about it.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am not happy about it but PB is not going to do anything. I understand about iron spots but would like to make an effort to clean them. Any suggestions?