pump run time, RPM, turn over rate

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So I got my first electric bill $300+. That was for a month after new plaster and I was running the pump ALOT, 24/7 for the first week.

I called Jandy and they told me my pump will do the following:

600 RPM - 30GPM
1500 RPM- 70GPM
1700 RPM- 90GPM

My pool is 10,690 gallons.

So, turnover is as follows:
600 RPM = 6.1 hours for 1 turnover
1500 RPM= 2.6 hours for 1 turnover
1700 RPM= 2 hours for 1 turnover

I have 3" suction lines and 2" return lines.

I have been running the pump @ 1725RPM for 12 hours per day so I am turning the entire pool 6+ times per day. Too much? I was thinking I could drop it down to say 1100 RPM and get like 4 hours per turnover and run it 8 hours per day for 2 turn overs per day. Sound right?

Will the SWG work at 1100 RPM? Not running salt yet

Turnovers are not important in residential pools. I run my pump at 1100 rpm for filfering, skimming, making chlorine with the SWG and solar standby. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. I run my pump 8 to 24 hours a day depending on solar heat/cool needs, how busy my trees are dropping stuff, etc. It costs less than 12 bucks a month to run my pump 24x7 at 1100 rpm.

Find the lowest speed your SWG will run. Mine is 900 rpm. I got some flow errors at 900 so I tried 1000 and got some flow errors as the filter clogged. So, I tried 1100 rpm and have not had any flow errors in a few years. Then run that for 8 hours or so and if your pool stays clean good.

Your goal is to be able to get at a bare minimum 1 turnover per day. After that you only need to run enough to maintain 1-3ppm FC in the pool. A ton of factors add/subtract to the total run time per day. If you run the pump @ a medium setting, maintain 1-3ppm chlorine and keep algae out of the pool all in 4 hours..... go for it!

As far as the SWG, guessing you'll have an Aqua Pure by Jandy, no idea but there's a handy flow indicator to let you know if you have enough or need more :)

GL!

If your electricity price varies by time of day then you may want to run the pump during cheap electricity periods.

Thanks, no salt yet. I dropped it to 1,100 rpm, and its using 76 watts. I will run it for 8 hours per day which should do two cycles. I will check with SCE on the rates at different times of the day. I would run at night but i read that running during the day is better.

Day or night is fine. Running at night tends to cool the pool a bit and day tends to warm it a bit. Just make sure that FC is above minimum for your CYA when the SWG starts. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I have an eco pump ep8. 1.8 amp at 230 volts. SWG pool. I run mine 24/7. My monthly bill is about 300 and that includes a lot of A/C here in GA. Your cost of electricity isn't that high. You will fight PH.

If you want to, you can run your pump during the day which should give you plenty of clorine during the daylight hours and turn it off at that night using your timer.

Me, my pool is spotless and I have gone 4 years with no algae. I think it is cleaner sonce the pump runs all the tI'm but that's just my opinion

Well after 24 hours @ 1100 rpm, i am not liking the pool surface, came home today and there is alot of tiny junk on the surface, also noticed the skimmer did not seem to have much flow and the same stuff was floating in the skimmer. The flap was moving but the surface seemed to be a lot more dirty when i could see the water relection.

Did i go too low and impact skimming effectiveness?

Two things to try
1200 rpm
or
Verify your circulation pattern, are all the eyeballs pointed to facilitate a nice circular water pattern that over debris toward the skimmers? If yes, maybe try reversing the pattern. I reversed mine and it helped to eliminate dead spots.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes the eyeballs make the water go in a circle towards the skimmer. I will bump to 1200. Whats odd is when i ran the pump at a higher speed the skimmer bucket was always clean, at the lower rpm there is a bunch of dust, specks, and small debris floating in the skimmer bucket, i can see water coming into the skimmer but there is debris on the water surface that does not appear to be sucked into the filter like before

Another thought, do you have a bottom drain? I have a 3way valve that switches flow from skimmer to drain. I have the suction set at about 80% skimmer 20% drain.

Yes on bottom drain, but its tied to the skimmer. I just measured the water level outside of the skimmer, its 3 3/4"up the 5 7/8" tile. When i measured in the skimmer, it appears the bottom of the skimmer body sits lower than the opening in the tile. In other words the tile leading to the skimmer is slanted lower than the front waterline tile. So when the water level on waterl line tile is halfway covered, the water level at the skimmer mouth is actually lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.