Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What am I dealing with here?

1. Back To Top    #1

What am I dealing with here?

Need some guidance - to fight or to fill it in with dirt!

Long story short - took over from the pool guy a year ago, bad idea. I wasn't educated enough and was fully reliant on pool store guys, top that off with pump failure and untimely illness and the pool went uber green (quick).

Still needing to get educated to do this myself on a regular basis, but got the pump replaced and the water blue again, now am stuck with people telling me the stains on the wall are black algae and no sense in balancing the pool as I should drain and have someone acid wash.

Do these pics give any clue as to what I am facing (these are post scrubbing with steel brush):
    Pool Wall2.jpg Pool Wall.jpg

Looking to see if me reading up here and staying out of pool store could get this done or am I better off as said above, drain it and pay someone to come out and acid wash it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What am I dealing with here?

Is it just a stain or is there deterioration of the pool finish right there?

3. Back To Top    #3

Both

The pool finish is old and there are some patches where it is def visible deterioration, but what you see in these pics is pretty much all stain.
    In Ground
    1.5HP pump
    Hayward 120 sq ft filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNole View Post
    Need some guidance - to fight or to fill it in with dirt!

Long story short - took over from the pool guy a year ago, bad idea. I wasn't educated enough and was fully reliant on pool store guys, top that off with pump failure and untimely illness and the pool went uber green (quick).

Still needing to get educated to do this myself on a regular basis, but got the pump replaced and the water blue again, now am stuck with people telling me the stains on the wall are black algae and no sense in balancing the pool as I should drain and have someone acid wash.

Do these pics give any clue as to what I am facing (these are post scrubbing with steel brush):
    Pool Wall2.jpg Pool Wall.jpg

Looking to see if me reading up here and staying out of pool store could get this done or am I better off as said above, drain it and pay someone to come out and acid wash it?
    Welcome to the forum!

I lived in Coral Springs for two years, awesome community. I was in a Condo on West Sample Road, a few blocks down from Alligator Alley.

Can you post a complete set of test results? Also, what has your chlorine demand been lately (how many ppm do you lose daily)?

Once we have some reliable test results and a little FC history we can devise a plan of attack.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would be posting pool store results of which I can see from this site don't mean much. Besides I don't write them down or take the print outs, meant nothing to me.

I am on another page reading about the various test kits now, so while I don't have that info now I can definitely tell you I am chasing my tail on adding chlorine (powdered) to keep it blue.

Am so ready to fill this thing with dirt I have spent so much money at the pool store. This is my last attempt, will get a quality test kit and pending any recommendations here run at high levels to see if that and some more brushing with get rid of this.

I scrubbed so hard and so much on Saturday I ended up with claw hand (see Deadliest Catch) all evening.
    In Ground
    1.5HP pump
    Hayward 120 sq ft filter

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I can't help you with the stains, but I can guarantee you that our method will definitely save you a ton of money. Order a test kit (I recommend the TF-100) and stay out of the pool store. You can get everything you need for a TFP at the supermarket or hardware store for much less.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

To confirm if it is black algae, do the fingernail test described here: Pool School - Black Algae

8. Back To Top    #8

I would not drain and acid wash, it will remove a layer of plaster and shorten the life of your plaster. Maybe by a lot. First. SLAM your pool and pass that, the following this, Pool School - Black Algae. Do you hve a stainless steel brush?

I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. here is why it is the best value, Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't fill it in, please read up you'll be so happy you did!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, don't use powdered shock to raise your chlorine. All powder shock also contain either CYA or calcium and we don't know your levels yet and whether or not it's OK to be adding more.

Use liquid chlorine, AKA bleach, only. If you use bleach, make sure it's just plain bleach, not splashless, not scented, just bleach.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Test kit arrives thursday, will post results then and be ready for an evening trip to the "non-pool" store.
    In Ground
    1.5HP pump
    Hayward 120 sq ft filter

12. Back To Top    #12

It wouldn't hurt to run to the "non-pool" store and stock up on bleach now and start putting some in while you wait for you kit to arrive. You can use PoolMath link at the top of the page to calculate how much each gallon will give you but you need to know your pool's volume. There is a calculator for that at the bottom of the PoolMath page as well.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

13. Back To Top    #13

First off, thanks all for the early replies and thanks to site owner\admins, glad I found this place!

Well here we go, test kit arrived today. Definitely chasing my tail on adding chlorine, zero stabilizer in there and as I haven't added anything since the weekend, am down to next to nothing on FC. Think I have only be just barely keeping up with the rain and fact the sun is eating away at FC. I am guessing I am just one weekend away from it turning green if I were to go out of town or something and not be here to add anything.

Below are the results, fire away, any and all guidance is appreciated.

FC = .2
    CC = .2
    PH = 7.6
    CYA = 0
    TA = 70-80
    CH = 550

Where to start, primary goal is addressing the stains on the walls, if that means SLAM and no kids in pool for a bit, I am ok with that. If just getting to right FC level is recommendation then where to go next, am still reading up on all the interactions of adjustments, what will happen to PH and should I add stabilizer first and give that the week it needs to fully dissolve \ register on a test?
    In Ground
    1.5HP pump
    Hayward 120 sq ft filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Which testkit did you get?

Did you ever do the fingernail test to confirm black algae? The link to directions are in post #7 above.

Was the CYA solution cloudy at all? Since the testkits only start registering at 20 or 30, if it was cloudy, you may have SOME.

You can use a 10ml sample for your FC/CC tests in the future. Just multiply the drops by 0.5 or divide by 2.

Adding CYA will lower your pH a bit but really not a huge factor in your case. New TFP protocol says can retest CYA within 24-48 hours after it is all dissolved and don't have to wait that whole week.

Sorry to ask so many questions before answering all of yours!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Which testkit did you get? - Taylor K-2006 (FAS-DPD), kids quite enjoyed the science lesson last night.

Did you ever do the fingernail test to confirm black algae? The link to directions are in post #7 above. I have already brushed the holy heck out of the pool with steel brush, nothing left to fingernail scrape off just the impossible to brush away stain. I literally can't feel my hands and shoulders.

Was the CYA solution cloudy at all? Since the testkits only start registering at 20 or 30, if it was cloudy, you may have SOME. - No not cloudy at all.

You can use a 10ml sample for your FC/CC tests in the future. Just multiply the drops by 0.5 or divide by 2. - Saw that note, was expecting to be low so went with the double sample size.

Adding CYA will lower your pH a bit but really not a huge factor in your case. New TFP protocol says can retest CYA within 24-48 hours after it is all dissolved and don't have to wait that whole week.

Sorry to ask so many questions before answering all of yours!
    - No problem, want to do this right, and be in control based on my own knowledge and testing!
    In Ground
    1.5HP pump
    Hayward 120 sq ft filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Try adding chlorine to 3ppm. Then retest FC in 10 minutes. If your FC is less than 1.5, you may have an ammonia issue. Let us know if so.

If it's 1.5 or higher, go ahead and add CYA to get to 40 and add FC to target 10ppm. When the CYA is dissolved, bump FC up to 16. You could aim for a CYA of 30 and an FC of 12, but I imagine that it's pretty sunny in Coral Springs.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNole View Post
    Below are the results, fire away, any and all guidance is appreciated.

FC = .2
    CC = .2
    PH = 7.6
    CYA = 0
    TA = 70-80
    CH = 550
    A quick heads up - when you're doing the FAS/DPD chlorine test, use a 10ml water sample and multiply the drops by .5 to get the chlorine level you're testing. The 25ml sample is far more accurate than we need, and will waste a lot of reagents unnecessarily.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Also, the CYA test needs to be done in full sunshine (no clouds and not when the sun is first rising or setting) as it is a light sensitive turbidity test. Hold the vial at waste level with two fingers and your back to the sun.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile