Looking for guidance on buying a pool cover

Aug 22, 2016
Skippack, PA
Hello,

First post here! My wife and I bought our first single home 2 years ago and, with it, came our first pool. We inherited a 20ftx40ft green mesh pool cover which was in OK condition. Of the 2 pool openings we've done so far, we've found our water to be very dark green and riddled with leaves & twigs. I don't know what brand the pool cover was, but I decided to throw it out back in the spring since it didn't look to be in good shape. Additionally, the local pool shop said it allowed too much light to pass thru it.

We have narrow 30-inch-wide strips of concrete surrounding our pool. The straps on the old pool cover extended beyond the concrete, and the previous owner staked the cover into the surrounding grass. It never appeared to me to have the "firm fit" that I see in most pool covers. My sense is that this looser fitment allowed grass & twigs to enter the pool during the off-season, resulting in significant algae growth by the time we open our pool in May.

We requested a quote from our local pool shop to install a new, custom-fit cover, and I had a sudden onsite of STICKER SHOCK!! $2350 for a custom Merlin Industries SmartMesh cover, along with "perimeter padding", flanges for the anchors, hardware, reinforcements and 6% PA sales tax. Plus another $450 for installation, bringing the total to $2800. The shop also provided a slightly higher quote for a solid cover and an accompanying pump. The SmartMesh sounded interesting to me because it's supposed to keep out 99% of UV, and you don't need to worry about operating & maintaining a pump. But I was shocked by the price.

Can any of you weigh in on whether this is normal pricing? Or do you have alternate suggestion? As I mentioned earlier, one of my concerns is that stock 20ft x 40ft covers are slightly too large to allow for mounting into my narrow concrete. Interior wall to interior wall, I have a rectangular pool that measures 38ft 11in by 19ft 5in. I have 7 inch coping all around, then 30 inches of concrete followed by grass.

Thanks for your help!
Andy

I am in process of getting cover quotes for my new IG pool. My PB quoted me a Merlin Smart Mesh for $3,500 installed and a free closing ($400 value). So that is pretty close to what you got quoted.

When I was pricing out the pool build last year, another PB quoted me $3,308 for a Anchor solid cover. I also just last week got two different loop lock quotes. One was $4,500 and the other $3,800 (from memory).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.