Intro and seeking some initial feedback/advice from pool owners

Hi there,

My wife and I are in the quote stage for a new inground pool. We have never owned a pool and our current knowledge is mainly from web browsing and speaking with some friends that own vinyl IG pools. I've poked around on this site and others and it's extremely overwhelming as to what's involved in getting a pool installed. We settled on a FG pool and leaning towards a Leisure Pool brand pool. We are restricted to a pool that is 30' long and about 15' wide based on our yard dimensions (54' x 25'). We really like the following models from Leisure, the Pinnacle/Ultimate and the Allure/Eclipse - the difference between the two models being either with our without an integrated spa. http://www.leisurepoolsusa.com/fiberglass-swimming-pools .

I know a lot comes down to personal preference and how you see yourself using the pool, but what we would love some feedback on is the following: We have two young kids, 4 and 7, we plan to stay in our house for a long time. The pool models we like with the tanning ledge/spa essentially take up about 7 feet of the 30 feet of the pool. Is 23 feet of pool length enough? Is it better that we look at models like the Riviera or Reflection where you have nice benches and can use the full 30 feet of pool for swimming? There's no going back once it's installed and we are worried that we go with some features that end up not being used and that took away from the valuable pool real estate. And regarding the tanning ledge and spa, my wife is actually the one that loves the idea of the tanning ledge both for her and the kids whereas I'm more leaning towards the integrated spa. Even the spa I'm not sure about, it will add to the cost of the pool and will it really be used and enjoyed to justify getting it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Welcome to TFP!

I would choose benches over tanning ledge. Kids love benches and adults love benches. It will be tough to swim a lap in a 30' pool, impossible in 23'.

I know this is an older post, but can you share what you went with? I'm in a similar situation - trying to decide if the tanning ledge is worth taking away swim area. We are looking at a 35-40 foot pool, but the tanning ledge would take 5-10 feet. We also have a 3 and 5 year old and want to make sure we have plenty of room to swim as they get older.