Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-rite 400LP heater not ignite

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-rite 400LP heater not ignite

I am a new member and am trying to get a help on a heater no ignition problem. My Sta-rite 400LP heater quitted on making hot water. It starts and runs for a few min as routine before the blower stops working with "Service Heater " LED on. During the running time, there is no hot water come out, only cold air from the exhaust flue. No red diagnostic LED's (AGS, AFS, ...) on. If turning off the heater and backing it on, the procedure will be repeated. On back of the board, red LED11 and green LED8 (9?) are on. I changed the igniter but no help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    5k gal 8'x16' in-ground tile swim pool, 1 1/2 HP Pentair Dynamo pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Sta-rite SR400LP heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sta-rite 400LP heater not ignite

Check the level of your propane tank, Pentair suggests to keep it above 55% to be able to sustain enough pressure to the heater. Do you ever smell propane? About 35-40 seconds into the blower coming on the gas valve opens and you should smell propane, especially if it doesn't ignite, coming out the exhaust. If not you'll need to verify voltage to the gas valve to see if it's good or toast.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi JoelFitz, It seemed that no propane smell was caught during my previous check-up. But I will pay more attention on the propane smell and will check the issues you mentioned. Thank you for your quick response.
    5k gal 8'x16' in-ground tile swim pool, 1 1/2 HP Pentair Dynamo pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Sta-rite SR400LP heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Finally, I tested the heater and found that no reading was on the gauge that was connecting to the test port of the control valve. The valve is on and the propane input of the valve is read 12" W.C. Does this mean the valve is bad?