Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting late in the year and a CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting late in the year and a CYA question

We have some cool weather and lots of rain here in Kentucky the last few weeks. It is supposed to get in the 90s again later this week. I just checked my CYA, and it is 60. Should I bring it up to 70 this late in the year? I will convert over to liquid chlorine in middle of September to give my SWG a break and save on the cell, as the water temps start to drop.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Getting late in the year and a CYA question

Seeing that you will be going to manual dosing soon, I would try it as-is, but keep an eye on your FC demand. If it seems that the SWG can't keep up, add the 10ppm of CYA.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Seeing that you will be going to manual dosing soon, I would try it as-is, but keep an eye on your FC demand. If it seems that the SWG can't keep up, add the 10ppm of CYA.
    I've been running SWG at 35% for 8 hours a day, and FC is staying a constant 6. I'm thinking I shouldn't have any problems keeping up.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I had planned on switching to liquid chlorine this week to give my SWG a rest. Summertime is not letting go just yet, as temps this week are forecast in the 90s for 4 days. Pool temp is staying about 77-79 range (it may go up this week). With SWG running, I test every morning and adjust my SWG output from there. Since I have never used liquid chlorine before, do I need to change my ritual on testing? Should I test in the morning and add, or should I test in the evening and add. Should I just go ahead and switch over now? My CYA is still hovering around 60. Anything else I need to know about switching over?????
    Mark

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd test late in the day and just supplement with bleach to keep up for a few days.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Today I switch to bleach, and I will be testing and adding tonight for the first time. Do I use the dosage of chlorine for a SWG type pool or the liquid chlorine type pool, going by the CYA charts? Probably a stupid question, but I want to make sure!!
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

When I looked at Poolmath, the non-swg had a higher minimum level. In my example, SWG was min of 3 while non-swg was min of 5. Guessing its because the swg releases chlorine slowly throughout the day. Adding bleach will raise chlorine all at once, then deplete throughout the day based on sun, etc. Idea is to dose to higher level, then it drifts down to your next testing, when you replenish. Goal is to never get below a minimum level.

If you let it get too low, for too long, you risk algae growth starting.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

9. Back To Top    #9

That is my thinking too......thanks!!
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, when using bleach go with the higher non-swg target.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Add 43 ozs of 8.5 bleach to get FC up to 9 last night. I could see where this could get a little pricey in the long run.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Once the water drops below 60 the FC consumption will be much lower. I didn't really pay attention but it seems like I added a gallon every 2 or 3 weeks last winter. Probably even less in Jan/Feb.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I checked FC tonight and it was at 8. Dropped .5 in 24 hours since switch to bleach last night. Cloudy all day and water temp was 70. I didn't add any tonight. Run the pump for 4 hours. Nothing wrong with that is there??
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

Nope, sounds good. You can probably lower pump run time ever to 2ish hours if you don't have trees helping you out with debris in the pool.
    TFP Moderator