Opelika/Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, apologies if it's not.

Here is what I'm dealing with and would appreciate any advice on what to do. Mother in Law is having leak issues in her in ground pool, she is going to replace the liner soon but since it is so late in the season she wants to wait and do it before opening it next year. My question is, do we need to keep the water up during the off season since it won't be used? I don't want to spend the money on bleach to keep it up just to drain it before getting the new liner. But I don't want to ruin the pump or filter by letting it sit all winter either.

The new liner will be installed come March of next year, and the pool will close come September 1st of this year. Normally we keep the pool up year round but figured since we know we have to drain it why waste the money.

Any advice? If I need to delete this and post it in a new section please let me know!

Alex S.

Your post is fine here.

I would let it go green when you are finished swimming and then clean it up when you replace the liner.

I hope you don't have to let it leak down too much. DO NOT drain the pool.....ideally keep it full

So keep it full meaning above the intake so the pump isn't sucking air? How long would you run the pump/filter if at all? Thanks, I enjoy insight and hope to hear some more.

The water in the pool provides structural support for the walls. Leaving it empty for extended period will invite the risk of the walls shifting or worse case, collapsing.

The reason we run the pump at all, is to keep the pool water filtered and clean and to circulate the chemicals.

If you are not going to maintain the pool chemistry over the winter, then there's no real need to run the pump.

Another question that is related to getting the new liner, there doesn't appear to be a main drain currently, if it's an old pool is it possible they did not include one? Or could they have covered it with the liner when it was installed 8 years ago? Any help is appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.